The Merry Books of May: Ft. 1 Mystery, 1 Moving Castle, and Very Many Martyrs
Hello, guys! IT'S JUNE!!! Summer is on its way and I'm sure that means freedom for many of you, so CONGRATS. I hope you are relaxing with lots of outdoor time and a good book at your elbow.
If you happen to need book suggestions (ha ha that's funny--when are bookworms not struggling to lighten the load of their TBR from off their shoulders?), then mayhap I can be of assistance. I've finally gotten back into some sort of reading habit this spring, and I am here to spill my guts about all the books I consumed throughout the merry month of May.
So here goes.
Expanding my initial notes on the below books has made me realize something about the way I do book reviews on my blog:
they're not objective book reviews so much as they are the story of how this book affected my soul when I was reading it.
...I mean, some of them are low-key objective. But others are just. Very personal and subjective and egotistical.
But I figure that's fair, for a blog? Part of discussing books is discussing why the books worked (or didn't work) for US INDIVIDUALS, right?
Well anyway that disclaimer aside. Here are the books I read in May. (Also the movies, but I didn't spend as much time on the movies this time, because I only watched 2.)
Images courtesy of Goodreads unless otherwise noted.
Howl’s Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
(technically I finished this the last day of April, but whatevs)
I feel like I'm the last person on the planet to read this book so I probably don't have to give a summary. Sophie, the eldest of three, gets cursed and ends up in a moving house with doors that open on different places in the company of three very interesting guys: 1) Calcifer, the fire demon who lives in the fireplace and gives me grouchy cat vibes; 2) Michael, the wizard's apprentice who is really quite a sweet and attentive young man; and 3) Howl, the wizard, who is renowned for his wickedness but in person turns out to be mainly quite vain. And also a coward. And also a hypochondriac.
The characters were my favorite part, naturally.
Am I uncomfy with Calcifer being a “demon”? You betcha.
Is he still my favorite character? Well, that’s a little bit more complicated because you see, there is Howl.
Howl is a lot of fun (as advertised), but he’s also got a surprising amount of heart. His relationship with Calcifer. I can't.
And then there's Sophie, who has quite the interesting character arc. I love the way she's the heroine, but is constantly in denial about being the heroine. She thinks her life is over before it had a chance to begin. And when adventures do start to happen to her, she thinks she's disqualified from being the heroine of the adventures because of the curse. If it were a different sort of curse then doubtless she'd be able to see the romance of her situation; but the curse is very unromantic, so she's STILL in denial about being the heroine because she doesn't LOOK or FEEL like the heroine.
Actually, scratch that. It's not that Sophie's in denial about being the heroine. It's that she never has even the slightest inkling that she was supposed to be the heroine. She thinks she's invisible and unimportant...and then it turns out she's quite an important person indeed.
I really liked that about her.
As for plot--the beginning bored me, and the climax confused me (both of which are probably me problems), but in between, I was a highly entertained, highly endeared, squealing-without-dignity kind of reader.
And the CONCLUSION. I LOVED THAT CONCLUSION SO MUCH. SO MUCH, I TELL YOU. All the right feels in all the right sequence. It was so COZY.
I am pleased. I am pleased muchly.
The Enigma Game, Elizabeth Wein
| i love this cover so much |
I finally read one of the prequels to Code Name Verity! And I must echo what Sarah Seele has said elsewhere: Code Name Verity is technically more impressive, but The Enigma Game is more delightful for me personally. Like its predecessor, it has all the WWII vibes my heart could desire, including plenty of airplanes and lots of warm, desperate camaraderie between brave people doing their best to fight the Nazis. But now we get to hang out chiefly with JAMIE BEAUFORT-STUART instead of his wee sister. (Don't get me wrong, I love Jamie Beaufort-Stuart's wee sister. And we do get glimpses of her in The Enigma Game, too. But JAMIE. There's a reason he's a fan favorite.)
This story is set almost entirely at an air base town and in the air; and I LOVED that. It also features an enigma machine and submarine warfare, which are things that have piqued my interest in the past, so. Das fun.
The air battles were so well-written. So intense. So scary. So sad. Jamie needs a hug. All his friends need hugs, too. But Jamie especially needs a hug, cuz he's trying to do right by the boys under his command while feeling caught under the thumb of a commander who Doesn't Get It.
POOR JAMIE. All his struggles with following orders that he didn't agree with really hit me. I relate, my man. I relate. It's hard to be responsible for one group of people while also being answerable to another group of people. Eventually, he has this moment where he's able to see his superior as a fellow human being struggling with a lot of the same issues that he is. The chain of command is rough, but it's necessary. An inconvenient fact of life. The pitfalls of it don't make your commanders evil. A lot of times they just...don't have the same view of things that you do. Which means, yes, sometimes their decisions make this or that aspect of your situation worse rather than better. But also, it means that you don't have the same view of things that they do, and often the decisions they make do help things big picture, even when you don't see it. And that is an encouraging thought.
Anywho, Jamie was probably my favorite character, but Louisa was a close second. I loved that girl so much. She's grieving her parents, she desperately wants a way to fight back against the Nazis, she's musical, she's kind. She is so, so kind. And I loved how her practiced politeness was at once a skill set that showcased her self-control, and a weakness--she had to learn to stand up for her dignity rather than hiding behind her politeness. Seeing her come into her own throughout the novel was quite satisfying.
And Ellen was cool. I didn't love her as much as Jamie or Louisa, but she was cool.
This one was a little more international than Code Name Verity, which was cool; Louisa is a British subject from Jamaica, her elderly friend Jane is from Germany, and some of Jamie's pilot pals hail from Australia and Poland. (And probably other countries that I'm forgetting. I could check, but my copy is upstairs and I am far too cozy, on this cloudy Saturday morning, to move from my perch on the couch.) The themes had a lot to do with diversity and respect and friendship, and I thought they were handled very beautifully.
Another thing that hit me hard was Louisa's realization that she actually ISN'T responsible for keeping her beloved flyboys safe; they're grown men, they make their own decisions, and they can deal with the consequences of their job. But even though she's not actually responsible, Louisa will always FEEL responsible. And that's kind of horrible.
Anywho. Apparently I really loved this book?
But OH. OH OH OH there was ONE THING that made me REALLY MAD. And that was what happened to Jamie's pal Silver.
...It didn't actually make me mad from a structural story standpoint. Not the way the moral decision at the end of Code Name Verity makes me mad. Actually, I greatly preferred the Sad Thing in the end of The Enigma Game to the Sad Thing in the end of Code Name Verity, because in Code Name Verity the decision was lowkey admired, and in The Enigma Game the decision was very much portrayed as Not Okay.
Which makes me want to write an analysis of the sacredness of human life in Code Name Verity vs. The Enigma Game, kind of, because it's INTERESTING, you see, how the same author could write the same two scenes. It makes sense. But at the same time, it doesn't quite jive. It...interests me. It interests me greatly.
The Case of the Left Handed Lady, Nancy Springer
I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy Book 2 in the Enola Holmes series nearly as much as I enjoyed Book 1.
When I finished Book 1, I was really happy because even though the story got off to a rocky start for me personally, the ending left me super excited to continue the series. And I thought Book 2 would be more fun than Book 1, because I thought we would start to strengthen Enola's connection to recurring characters.
And we did a little bit? Sherlock Holmes comes in a good deal, and we are introduced to Dr. Watson, who is possibly my favorite character. But Tewksbury is still AWOL. ("Absent without whose leave," you ask? My leave. I did not give Tewksbury permission to just disappear after Book 1.)
...I realize that Enola's whole identity is wrapped up in being "alone" spelled backwards, and that my #1 Fictional Pet Peeve is Characters Being Alone, so maybe I am not the best person to be reading this series.
But in the movies the whole POINT of the story is that Enola ISN'T alone, and she figures that out quickly enough; and I just want the books to give me that narrative, too.
I did have other quibbles with the book, like Sherlock Holmes showing too much emotion too quickly (the prologue would have had me squealing had it been a scene at the very end of the series, but since there wasn't a torturously long lead-up it didn't HIT).
I do want to continue the series. I'm just...not feeling it at the moment.
Narrative of a Captivity Among the Mohawk Indians, and a Description of New Netherland in 1642-43, by St. Isaac Jogues
There be Catholic/historical fangirling ahead.
*squeals*
I recently had the opportunity to visit the National Shrine of the North American Martyrs in upstate New York, where St. Isaac Jogues and his companions were killed in the 1640s. (If you ever get a chance to go, go. It's beautiful.) I thought I knew the story; but actually, I was surprised to make the acquaintance of St. Rene Goupil, the first canonized martyr killed on what is now U.S. soil. He enchanted me so much that I had no choice but to come home and find this book online and read it ASAP.
(Look. You can find it here. I have given you the link.)
If you know anything about Fr. Jogues, you know he was captured by the Mohawks, endured a lot of torture, escaped back to France (minus most of his fingers), and then came BACK to the New World to preach to his former captors. And was killed.
Kind of like St. Patrick in the return to his place of imprisonment; kind of like St. Sebastian in his double martyrdom.
It's an epic story.
But what makes it even MORE epic is RENE GOUPIL.
I love this man so much.
He wasn't even a priest; he was a layman and a doctor. He'd applied to join the Jesuit order only to be turned away on account of a hearing impairment. But he went to New France with the missions anyway. In the wilderness, he used his medical skill to help both the missionaries and the native people whenever they were ill or wounded. He was with Fr. Jogues during his first captivity, and endured many of the same tortures, including the loss of a thumb. They encouraged one another in their captivity, and Fr. Jogues heard Rene's confession every other day.
And then Rene got killed first and left Fr. Jogues all alone.
Which is really sad to think about.
But it's also just such a beautiful story.
Because Fr. Jogues was there to give his friend absolution as he died.
And I think...I think it's the happiest death I've ever read about. Because Fr. Jogues is standing there in a sort of double role as human comforter + in persona Christi. And...yeah.
I JUST APPRECIATE THEIR FRIENDSHIP SO MUCH.
![]() |
| wherein i attempt fan art of very epic martyrs in my very juvenile style. |
Fr. Jogues describes Rene Goupil as "an angel of innocence," and says of his attitude in captivity: "He did not see the danger we were in so clearly: I saw it better. This made me often tell him to hold himself in readiness." So I get the feeling that Rene was a cheerful, phlegmatic soul, and that Fr. Jogues was a little bit more serious in a number of ways.
(They remind me of my characters Tortxof and Gubrettij.)
(And I don't really believe that Rene didn't know they were gonna die. They had already had their fingers crunched at this point, and been captive for several weeks; and Rene talked a lot about being a martyr. I think he was just cheerful about it.)
I want a movie about it, actually. One that focuses specifically, not on the gory torture scenes, but on the holy friendship between these two men. Their dynamic could be so sweet on screen: Rene gently tending all the physical hurts, Fr. Jogues doing most of the spiritual care, Rene being all humble and bumbling and calm, Fr. Jogues weighed down with many sufferings and preoccupied with concern for Rene on top of it all because HE DOESN'T SEEM TO GET THAT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE, DOES HE KNOW? I NEED TO MAKE HIM UNDERSTAND SO HE'S NOT CAUGHT UNAWARES. (And then Rene is just like "Yeah, I get it, that's what we signed up for, right?" and proceeds to make the sign of the Cross over a sick Mohawk child.)
Rene's death and burial could happen maybe halfway through the movie, because Fr. Jogues has quite a few adventures left before his own martyrdom; but his presence would never be allowed to go away. We would need a heartbreaking montage of Fr. Jogues cutting crosses in the trees during a lonely winter, praying the rosary, and missing his friend. We would get quick visual reminders of Rene all through the fast-paced escape sequence. Fr. Jogues would talk about Rene when he gets back safe to Europe. We would see him writing the account of Rene Goupil's martyrdom (which starts on page 61 of this online document). And when he goes back to the New World and is captured again--when he's dragged back, for the last time, to the very village where Rene was killed--talk about the potential for effective cinematic drama.
(He had a new companion with him at this point, a priest this time, St. Jean de Lalande. Now I'm sure Fr. Jean de Lalande was his own interesting person and has his own personality to bring to this hypothetical movie; but I also think, from a sheer storytelling standpoint, he should be at once a parallel to Rene and a foil for Rene.)
And then I'm sure you could bring Rene into Isaac Jogues' death scene in some super beautiful way. You wouldn't have to be quite as on-the-nose as having him appear a la Fantine in Les Miserables, maybe. But you could go for the same feel. Y'know?
Hm. A North American Martyrs musical. Now THAT would be very interesting.
Ahem. Anywho. St. Isaac Jogues is the best. St. Rene Goupil is the best. And if you want their story in St. Isaac Jogues' own words, then this is the book for you. (Again. It's right here. I have given you the link three times now, so you have no excuse not to read it.)
(I also recommend the shrine in upstate New York, 10/10. 11/10, actually. If that be possible.)
A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt
AGH.
HOW GORGEOUS.
This play is a thing of beauty. So much so that I have no words. I read it early one morning when I was ill and staying home from work, and it was just exactly the ticket for my rather weary soul.
I must see the movie again. Now that I'm old enough to, y'know, understand it.
When I tell you it made me cry.
I cry fairly easily when it comes to fiction, so that's not necessarily saying much? But it's not like I cry at the drop of a hat, either. But the scene where he says goodbye to his wife and daughter. Oh, it got me, man. It got me.
Anyway it was kind of cool to read this for the first time and be reminded of the movie that I saw when I was a pretty small girl, and be like, "OH I remember that! This scene actually made a pretty big impression on me! Even though I didn't understand it!"
And the English is just SO GOOD. So many beautiful lines. So many well-written lines that happen to be spiritually beneficial as well.
It was also cool to see in writing the prayer that my family learned from the movie: "Dear Lord, give us rest tonight, and if we must be wakeful, cheerful, careful only for our soul's salvation, for Christ's sake. Amen." I remember my mom being like, "That's an amazing prayer, we need to write it down," so we did, and ever since then my family has kept it part of our nightly prayer routine.
Which is just...kinda cool. It makes the play feel really personal, even though it's not something I actually grew up with. Y'know?
Yeah anyway. I loved this. You should read it if you haven't.
Edmund Campion: A Life, by Evelyn Waugh
Clearly, Edmund Campion has forgiven Queen Elizabeth and her administration for putting him to a gristly death on trumped-up charges of treason.
Clearly, Evelyn Waugh has NOT forgiven Queen Elizabeth and her administration for what they did to his hero.
*shakes head fondly at Evelyn*
(It took me, like, a solid year to get through this. FUN STORY THO. When I first moved into the house where I'm currently living with my four lovely roommates, I was super homesick, right? And I wished that I had brought Brideshead Revisited, right? But I hadn't, silly goose that I was; so it was a comfort and a boon and a grace to me to discover that the previous occupants of our house had left behind a copy of Edmund Campion, by Evelyn Waugh. I was thrilled because I'd always wanted to read it but had so far been unsuccessful in actually acquiring said book. So I squealed and hugged the book to myself and crept out to the porch in the early morning sunshine to read for a quiet hour. And lo and behold, my roommate Ginger was also out there reading a book. [she is not actually a ginger. but i like the name "ginger" for her anyway.] Now, for whatever reason, I was woefully intimidated by Ginger at that early phase in our acquaintance. So I perched on the chair across from her with my Evelyn Waugh clutched like a talisman in my lap and timidly asked what she was reading. And she was like, "Oh, you know, Brideshead Revisited." And I was like NO WAY THAT'S MY FAVORITE BOOK. And it was maybe the first moment that I actually believed that Ginger and Nutmeg could maybe be friends after all.)
(I feel compelled to admit that Ginger has never actually finished Brideshead Revisited. It isn't really her cup of tea. But that's okay. It turns out that Ginger is one of the coolest people I know, even though she doesn't drool over novels by 20th century Brits.)
And that be the extent of my books from May! On to the movies.
Top Gun: Maverick (2022)
Eeep me likey. Quite a lot, actually. It was super fun and super scary by turns, and really very sweet, and the scandy content wasn't too scandy (I mean, don't get me wrong, it was unnecessary, but it could've been worse), the MANLY FRIENDSHIPS WERE EVERYTHING MY HEART DESIRES FROM FICTION, the ending was really quite satisfying, and--
--oh, I haven't seen the original Top Gun. But I am a little bit curious about it now. Just a wee bit. Even though I know what happens to Goose, who would seem to be the only point of watching Top Gun.
(I'm exaggerating a bit. I just get the feeling Goose is everything.)
Return to Me (2000)
Yes, I already watched this once this year.
I think it's what the kids call a comfort movie. Along with Rio Bravo. Which isn't similar at all.
We're funny creatures, we humans, aren't we?
And that is all I have for you today, my friends! I hope you have enjoyed this foray into the fiction (and nonfiction, actually) of the Nutmeg's May. Or at least, not been tortured by it. Not felt like you were getting your fingers chewed off, or anything.
Now tell me--what have you been reading this spring? Anything good? Anything that made you cry? Anything that made you want to become a filmmaker and have a say in what Hollywood is churning out these days? Tell me all the things.

I love your book reviews, whether objective or not, so don't ever change them! (Please.) Subjective book reviews are the only kind that actually really work, because no one can give an absolutely objective book review, and the way you lean into that is a) fun and interesting to read and b) honest and actually helpful for me as a reader. So, anyway.
ReplyDelete"Howl...'s got a surprising amount of heart" MEGAN I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE. :D
Also, I love your thoughts on Sophie! Because it makes a bit more sense to me now how I can slot into her head SO well that I can barely tell that she's an unreliable narrator, and it's because sometimes I also don't feel like I'm the heroine, even of my own story. (To be fair, this is most often when I'm at school.) (And even then, not always true, because humans are very good at seeing themselves as the MCs of their own stories, but sometimes I...forget that I have autonomy, I guess? It's weird. And I also do quite often feel like I'm not that important.) Anywho. This comment was not meant to be a psychoanalysis of myself; suffice it to say, Sophie's arc is indeed really great, but I hadn't really thought about it that way before, having reread it so many times since I was too wee to understand such things, and so thank you for writing it out like that for my consideration. :)
Okay, I'm going to be controversial and say that Code Name Verity is more delightful for me personally than The Enigma Game. HOWEVER I do really love The Enigma Game, and I actually also just reread it in May? (Possibly because you mentioned you were reading it? I can't recall.) Anyway. It was REALLY good, but I kind of felt like it moved more slowly than Code Name Verity? Which also moves kind of slowly, but Enigma Game felt more so. And I have more trouble suspending disbelief. BUT Jamie is WONDERFUL (those scenes where he has to pretend not know that one character! while his pilots are flirting with her!) and I did love getting to see him more in this book.
And Louisa is WONDERFUL. She is so kind and patient with Jane, but also so plucky, and I love all of the scenes where she gets to fly, and her love of music, too. And the way she feels like the pilots are her brothers, in a way? That makes me SO happy, especially since it's the way I feel about a bunch of my guy friends. (I still remember a time during my freshman year when we were watching Band of Brothers (by 'we' I mean 'me and a bunch of my guy friends and one other woman friend') and it occurred to me that they were old enough to have been drafted in WWII, and I, like, started feeling all momma-sister-tiger-y.)
I would love to see a post about the sacredness of human life in CNV vs. TEG! I think it would be quite interesting, actually.
I know we've already talked about St. Isaac Jogues a little bit, but again...I LOVE him. He's actually one of the first martyrs I ever remember learning about? But I think I need to learn more about St. Rene Goupil! And that FANART MEGAN IT IS BEAUTIFUL! (But you're so right, there needs to be a movie.) (A GOOD movie)
(And I just started reading the account of his martyrdom and I'M SCARED. But I'm going to finish it when I'm done with this comment.)
"Clearly, Evelyn Waugh has NOT forgiven Queen Elizabeth and her administration for what they did to his hero." XD XD XD That does sound like something Waugh would do, AND I clearly need to add this book to my TBR, because St. Edmund Campion was the first *English* martyr I ever learned about, and I LOVE him.
You have a very good point. I do, actually, much prefer the book reviews I read to be subjective. So thank you. I feel affirmed as a book reviewer, lol.
DeleteHAHAHA Howl's heart tho. XD I love it so much. On multiple levels. And YES. I RELATE TO SOPHIE SO HARD, TOO. I didn't go into it in this post, but I do. I think that's maybe why the climax satisfied me even though it was so very confusing? Like "ah yes Sophie is realizing she matters. this is good." Like, I /know/ I matter, objectively, and I do sometimes feel like my life is super dramatic and I'm part of a really fun movie...but there are other days when I'm like, "oh i'm just little old me and no one will ever notice me and my life will just kind of meander along until it's over." Which is not a healthy mindset, heh.
Code Name Verity is an objectively AMAZING book. There's SO MUCH GOING FOR IT. I don't think CNV moves particularly slowly, actually? because even while we're covering backstory in detail, you've got the present-tense storyline happening under the thumb of the Gestapo and that's...kind of so intense that it doesn't let you come up for air. When I read CNV the first time I got sucked in and read for pretty much 24 hours straight, as I remember. Enigma pulled me in, too, and I didn't have the leisure to just read it until I was done, but I feel like I /could/ have gotten to a good stopping point and let the characters be for a month on the grounds that they were OK for now, which I could never have done with CNV. X') But actually I have more suspension-of-disbelief issues with CNV? Because the way the story is told through fictional primary documents is SO STINKIN' CLEVER AND I LOVE IT, but I'm also like, "Could she /really/ write this beautifully annnnnnd in so much detail between Gestapo torture sessions? like, really? reeeaallly?" Whereas EG there's no conceit going on it's just...characters talking or thinking & it's unclear where we are getting these thoughts. Which is less cool/more conventional. But also more believable, for me personally. (BUT I think I prefer the style of CNV anyway. There were chapters were EG switched POVs super duper fast, like, multiple times in a chapter, & I was just like "WHOOOO is talking right now I AM CONFUSED.")
Anywho. *clears throat* Pros and cons. Both books are amazing. AND YES I LOVE LOUISA. And her sisterly relationship with all the boys. *sobs* (Also "all momma-sister-tiger-y" is a fantastic description of a feeling.)
I would rather like to write it, but the memory of both books has grown a little fuzzy at this point, so....maybe someday. XD
ME TOO. I also love him. (And YES I highly recommend reading more about St. Rene. He da best.) (All of them are, tho. It would make a LOVELY movie.) (And thank you.) (And you must let me know what you think of the account.)
XD He's so salty in this book, Sam. So, so salty. I feel like I get to know a different side of Evelyn Waugh with every work I read by him. Brideshead is his profound repentant-and-hopeful-sinner side, Helena is his dreamy quirky poetic happy-Catholic side, and Edmund Campion is his vindictive side. XD And I LOVE EDMUND CAMPION TOO.
A good deal of this comment turned out to be sort of echoing Sam's, so...oops? XD
ReplyDeleteI like your subjective book reviews. The book reviews I find both most helpful and most interesting (and sometimes I'm only reading a book review because I'm interested in the book review, not the book, so that second factor is quite important) are the subjective ones that make note of objective factors, if that makes sense? Like, the whole point of a book IS its interaction with the reader. So...I like your reviews, is the point. My reviews are the same, I'm fairly certain. Every once in a while I get all angsty about how egotistical they are and decide I won't write any more, but I like blabbering my opinions to the internet too much to actually carry out that threat, I guess. :P
Your thoughts on Sophie are wonderful and true. Other than that I think we have completely opposite experiences of the book? Which is rather funny. My favorite part is the delightfully familiar-yet-unfamiliar way it starts, and then the bits where Calcifer, Sophie, and Michael are all chilling in the castle (i.e. the bits without Howl). And while I like the climax and it's good, it disappointed me in some indefinable way. I guess the book started out so fun and unlike anything I'd ever read before but exactly like something I'd always WANTED to read, that any ending was going to have a hard time living up to what I wanted it to be. /I/ don't even know what I wanted it to be, y'know?
Ooooh I'm so happy you liked The Enigma Game!!! And I feel quite validated that it was also slightly more your speed than CNV. Cause, like, CNV is obviously the more popular book. And if too many people agreed with me, I would feel quite awfully plebian in my tastes, but if NO one agrees with me that's just lonely. Well, and JAMIE, don't you know. Please don't make me think of his boys, my heart literally breaks EVERY TIME. And dude, I would be all over an analysis of the sacredness of life in TEG vs CNV! So all over it! TEG also bothers me far less. Doesn't bother me at all, actually, except that it's HEARTBREAKING, because the way it's presented is so different. (Have I mentioned that I LOVE AND ADORE AND MY HEART BREAKS FOR Jamie?? Have I mentioned that yet??)
I've never heard of Isaac Jogues or Rene before you, BUT oh my gosh. They go on the pile for "when I actually start my early North American history research." I love your movie idea so much.
That prayer from A Man for All Seasons is...the loveliest thing. Since I FINALLY answered your comment on my blog, I won't go into more fangirly detail now, but um SO BEAUTIFUL. SO GOOD. SUCH A REFRESHING THING TO READ AT THIS PARTICULAR POINT. (why I don't know, but it was for both of us apparently)
Emulation is the highest form of praise. XD
Delete"the whole point of a book IS its interaction with the reader" <<< I like this very much. It makes books sound a l i v e. Which I guess they kinda sorta are, in a poetic sense. For the record: never change your book reviews. I love them intensely.
Interesting! You should write a book that's like the version of Howl's Moving Castle that you always wanted. ...WAIT you HAVE a book like that, don't you? By....oh goodness what was that book?? I REMEMBER YOU DESCRIBING IT BUT I CAN'T RECALL THE AUTHOR OR TITLE. (At least I'm pretty sure it was you. It may have been someone else entirely, because my brain doesn't work as well these days as it once did.) I am curious now.
Haha I feel that so hard--wanting to be /unique/ in one's opinions but not TOO unique (because one must have someone to relate to, you know). And JAMIE. Yes. Love that boy. HIS BOYS. I second your wail that it doesn't actually /bother/ me at all, it's just ineffably sad. As wars are wont to be.
*silently applauds the addition of Jogues & Rene to your history research pile* They're good men.
YES. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL AND GOOD AND REFRESHING. *hugs the play*
I'm one of that rare breed who has not read Howl's Moving Castle, though I've certainly heard of it (or heard of the movie, at least. I'm also one of that rare breed who has not seen a single Studio Ghibli movie...). Oof though, that'd make me feel uncomfortable too...
ReplyDeleteOh, a good movie about the North American martyrs would be absolutely wonderful!
Ahh, A Man for All Seasons!! (Wow, it's rather a coincidence that I just decided to write about St. Thomas More too!) But absolutely, watch the movie again!!! It may or may not be one of my most favorite movies ever...
About the Evelyn Waugh book on St. Edmund Campion...I'm curious, what style is it written in? 'Cause I'd heard that he wrote the dialogue and such for his book about St. Helena in contemporary English and not the way they would have spoken at the time (a really interesting technique); did he do the same thing in this one?
*high fives fellow has-always-heard-of-without-having-read HMC person* It was pretty fun! My sisters and I are in agreement that the term is used in a strictly fantastical way & is therefore probably ok. In fact I think I'm the only person I've heard complain about it. So...I trust the common sense of the Christian masses. XD
DeleteIT WOULD.
I need to actually see the movie! It's been so many years. But I would love it a lot now.
Evelyn Waugh's book on St. Edmund Campion is nonfiction! So it's not at all like his book on St. Helena (which is very very good & I would heartily recommend it; the 20th-century British slang coming out of Roman consuls' mouths is absolute GOLD). Honestly I found the style kind of hard to get into for Edmund Campion, bc it's so DENSE. There's only 4 chapters so the chapters are loooong, and the paragraphs are long and the sentences are long....and it's all Evelyn Waugh being a genius with the English language, so it's /good/ but it's also, like, just a LOT. Like "I JUST WANT THE FACTS ABOUT CAMPION TRANSLATED INTO CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN ENGLISH SO MY BRAIN CAN ABSORB THEM, OK?!" And the casual references to British history are hard for me to keep track of. But then, this probably just wasn't the year for me to enjoy this particular work of Waugh's, as I was very very busy and very very stressed most of the time. :D Someday I hope to come back to it and find it all-around enjoyable. (Well. Except for the hung-drawn-and-quartered part. Getting hung, drawn, and quartered is never enjoyable.)
... I'm glad Sam pointed out what you did there because I missed it. XD The description of Calcifer as a grumpy cat is JUST perfect. All the more so because he can't move so he is reduced to sulking. XD
ReplyDeleteI have some moods where I don't want to read thoughts on stories I haven't read, but yours are always delightful. *salutes you with imaginary teacup* I especially loved your comments on the Enigma Game! The way you described Louisa and her politeness as a skill and a weakness? I FEEL CALLED OUT. So definitely curious now.
I mean, you even wanting to read the second Enola book is more than me, so kudos. Though I am sliiiiightly tempted due to how Tewkesbury isn't in it... (Don't get me wrong, I could watch the movies endlessly for him, but I was this close to breaking something when it came to the book.) Did I catch you say MOVIES, as in, plural?? As in you've seen the sequel?? Thoughts please? ;)
Your fan art??? *flails* LOVE IT. You should definitely go into the movie business and have that film created. *nods solemnly*
Oh, what's A Man for All Seasons about? That story about the prayer is ADORABLE.
You liking Top Gun: Maverick makes so much sense based on what we know about you and fly boys. ;) One of my roommates made me watch the original this semester and I was not a fan. I was actually very mad, because I didn't want Maverick to be the MC because UGH. The two things I liked about it was Iceman *all the hearts* and Goose (and I somehow had escaped spoilers?? So I cried. But like you, it doesn't take much to make that happen...).
*glances askance at Blogger* Um, Blogger? Why did you flag Chloe's comment as spam? You know she's one of my oldest blogger friends, riiiiight? *shakes head at Blogger*
DeleteHaha oh poor old Calcifer. You're RIGHT he can't MOVE. *pats the grumpy cat on the head* There, there, pumpkin.
Oh, why thank you very much. That is no small compliment. *drinks tea with you* I LOVE LOUISA and MC I think you would too. Would recommend The Enigma Game overall. If you're ever in a WWII mood.
Oh say you don't like Tewkesbury in the book? Whyever not, may I ask? He was definitely....less mature, maybe, is the word I'm looking for, and I did not at all /ship/ them in the book, but I'm very curious to see how their relationship develops and deepens and progresses because it's so potentially WHOLESOME, don't you know. (He definitely gives me annoying-kid-brother vibes for Enola in the books.) Alas, I have not yet seen the sequel. The plural was a shameless assumption on my part. BUT I WANT TO SEE IT. I DO, I DO.
Thank you, dear! And I'm glad you agree with me about the movie. I'll go have it made right away. XD
Oops, I forgot to say what A Man For All Seasons was about in my review. :P (Grade: F-) It's a play about St. Thomas More! Specifically, about his struggle to reconcile, without violating his conscience, his role as an English statesman with his identity as a faithful Catholic under the reign of Henry VIII (who is both his boss /and/ his friend, so that's dramatic). It's a good example of a true story being told in an excellently poetic just-the-right-amount-of-creative-license-mixed-with-historical-context way. Highly recommend.
Heheh yes. The flyboys. Guilty as charged. XD I've been told Top Gun (the OG) is not worth watching, but...I guess I'm skeptical. Because FLYBOYS. And also it just seems like the kind of movie everyone's seen so why would I wanna pass up the chance to watch it if there's a possibility I'm missing out on a good thing, y'know? But at the same time I'm not, like, /excited/ to see it. So time will tell.