The Voted Most Likely Tag: Involving Characters from The Comic Space Opera

Hullo my good beans! I am back! (It's not that I've forgotten I have a blog or anything, it's just that life gets busy, don't you know.) In any case the lovely Sam @ Bookshire has tagged me with a tag that involves showing off one's own characters, and it looked fun. Especially since I've never done this particular tag with my space opera characters. 

And so, I hereby introduce to you, or, more likely, reintroduce to you, the cast of my current WIP.

There's no proper blurb for the WIP in question, but if you're not familiar with it, all you really need to know is that it takes place in a world very much like our own (pizza parlors, mocha lattes, classic rock and roll) but with royalty and space travel and evil empires thrown into the mix. (And the space travel isn't, like, realistic space travel, it's just, people jump into their flying convertibles and the next thing you know they're on another planet.)

The story is currently sitting at some 250,000 words across three different books. Which I am currently trying to streamline and condense into a single book in the 100k range. 

(hAlp editing is not my strength and this is the most ambitious editing project i have ever undertaken.)

But we are not here to groan about editing! We are here to squeal about characters. 

Let the festivities commence. 


Most Likely to Be a Poet

Caroline Summers is 17 years old, a stereotypically spunky redhead, the proud owner of a teal convertible and teal sneakers, and is unapologetically passionate about three things: her coffee, her music, and her friends. Not necessarily in that order. 

Someday she's going to be a songwriter. I mean, she probably writes songs already, but someday she's going to make it as a songwriter.

(And if you don't think of songwriters as poets--my dear. Have you listened to Simon and Garfunkel?) 

Most Likely to Dance in the Rain

I mean, also Caroline, BUT since she already took a prize in the yearbook MOVING ON--

Prince Ferdinand. 

Prince Ferdinand, aka Ferdy, also 17, gangly of form and beaming of face, is probably the sweetest and most naive creature in the book. He has unbounded enthusiasm for life, and always wears turtleneck sweaters because his parents are overly paranoid about him catching cold. To be fair to them, he really does catch cold easily. 

So what would happen is Ferdy goes out to dance in the rain, gets soaked to the skin, and comes down with pneumonia.

Who are we kidding, that probably has happened a good number of times.

Caroline was probably with him most of the times it happened.

Most Likely to Look Good in a Kilt

I feel unqualified to answer this question. What characteristics are they, exactly, that make a man Look Good in a Kilt? 

If I can't confidently assess what looks good on me 100% of the time, how am I supposed to confidently assess what looks good on my fictional characters

Dar Beauregard is whispering in my ear that he would look stunning in a kilt because he looks stunning in everything

I am giving him my most skeptical look. 

I don't think he's the kilt-wearing type. 

Maybe Senator Brett Summers. Caroline's dad is a pretty dapper individual and I feel like he's incapable of being self-conscious, so he really could pull off just about anything. 

Most Likely to Get Punched in the Face

That would be Raff Summers. Caroline's big brother and Ferdy's best friend/bodyguard. He's about 19 and a bit of a jock. Also very protective, with a fiery temper where his friends are concerned. 

He's very punchable. 

Most Likely to Drop Everything and Become a Sheep Herder

Thaaaaat would be--

No waitasecond. I was gonna say it would be Caroline's other big brother, Jude (mid-20s), but I'm second-guessing it because Jude is kind of a city slicker. He lives in an apartment downtown where he can walk to work at his bureaucratic government job, and he thrives on pushing paperwork.

Would he also thrive on the rural, rugged silence of Heidi's Alpine ranges? 

Yes, I think he would. He's not afraid of hard work and he's not actually a sissy, even though he might strike you that way at first. 

But the thing is, he would never drop everything and move to the mountains just because he would be content there. Not when he's already so content where he is. Jude is, above all, a creature of habit. 

OOH.

CHRISTINA. She would get sick and tired of her spaceship gas station and say "blast it--" 

...No not Christina she loves her machinery too much.

*sigh* What a lot of happy city people I have in this book. 

I think Jude really is the best bet for now. If I think of someone else I'll come back and change it.

Dear Jude.

OH WAIT. I got one. Gubrettij. Gubrettij Strike of the Festerlonian (those are the bad guys) Army. He's perfectly content where he is right now, too, but if he ever got the idea that there was something deeply wrong with his current life, he wouldn't think twice about deserting and running off to some quiet rural area. And he would absolutely love taking care of sheep. Frustrations and all. He would just embrace the whole shebang and be the best shepherd ever. 

(Other than Jesus, of course.)

Most Likely to be Found in the Library

You know what, Dar Beauregard.

My charming rogue of a space thief (about 20) is actually a rather literary person. Well. "Literary" isn't the right word. Scholarly, though. He likes to know things so that he can rattle off quotations from famous authors or facts about scientific subjects and look Smart and Multifaceted and Witty and Profound. And he just digs the aesthetic of a good old library, don't you know.

I just got this mental image of Dar hanging out in this story world's equivalent of the New York Public Library, long after visitor's hours are over, probably sipping tea over a Very Old Book which should have hot liquids Nowhere Near It Whatsoever. 

It's a pleasing image. 

I didn't realize sneaking into historic libraries was a hobby of Dar's but it probably totally is. 

And he probably has a pretty sick library in his hideout, too. 

Most Likely to Sleep Through an Earthquake

Funny you should ask. I've been thinking recently about the nature of exhaustion, and how effective it is in stories to see an exhausted character fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Like, I dunno, in Enemy Brothers I feel like if you give Dym a cup of tea in a room with a fire he falls asleep because he's an exemplary British airman doing his duty in the hell of WWII. And it's poignant because Dym's not making a fuss about how tired he is. When he's awake he's super cheerful and chill. But then when he nods off you realize how much the man is sacrificing, even though you don't get to see the actual work.

So I've actually been trying to decide which person in this cast would be most likely to fall asleep when not planning to take a nap. And the guy I'm leaning towards is Java. He's bodyguard to the Young Empress of Festerlon and his job comes with more stress than you might imagine.

.....But then again, that doesn't really answer this question, because here we're looking for a HEAVY sleeper, and I don't think Java is capable of heavy sleeping because he's always gotta be so darn vigilant.

Oh well. It's the best I got. Although I can certainly imagine Dar's sidekick Dick sleeping through an earthquake and then waking up and being all groggy and "what did I miss?" 

Most Likely to Steal Food from Other People's Plates

In this story-world, you see the word "steal" your mind goes to Dar Beauregard.

Dar yelps that that's not FAIR because stealing food is uncouth, and he never does anything uncouth. When he steals he steals with style

Ironically, Caroline, who is Most Indignant at Dar for stealing with style on the grounds that wrong things can never truly be done with style, would totally steal food from someone else's plate.

Especially if that someone else was Jude.

I now need to write a scene in which all the characters are at a fast-food restaurant and Caroline steals Jude's French fries just after berating Dar for his kleptomaniac tendencies. 

Most Likely to Cheat on a Test

The tempting answer here would once again be Dar, but actually I don't think he would because of the intellectual snobbery hinted at above (see: Most Likely to be Found in the Library). Stealing someone else's answers, like stealing someone else's French fries, is just uncouth. It's beneath him. Why would he want anyone else's answers when he has his own answers which are probably far superior to the ones in the answer key?

Also, Dar was totally homeschooled by his evil uncle/homeschooled himself (being raised by robbers leaves you very few education options), so I don't think he's ever been subjected to a written test. 

So the Actual cast member Most Likely to Cheat on a Test would be...

Dorian.

Captain Dorian of the Festerlonian Space Force.

He is, ahem. Quite the opportunist. He will do whatever it takes to claw his way to the top. He's probably been stealing Tortxof Strike's answers as long as they've been friends. 

Most Likely to Say "Oops" After Setting Something on Fire

Dick the Sidekick.

(That was the easiest question in the tag.) 

Naturally Dick wouldn't set anything on fire on purpose. But it is an undeniable fact that he is only too likely to set something on fire. Maybe even everything, sometime. 

(Then again, Christina is very bad in the kitchen.) (She just wouldn't say "oops." She would have a mental breakdown.)

Most Likely to Open an Orphanage

Veronica Summers!!!

That one was, if possible, even easier than the last one. Raff & Caroline & Jude's mom is the BEST when it comes to taking in people who need to be loved. She welcomes them into her house and pours them coffee and makes them food. She goes and visits them in the hospital. She insists that they stay a little while longer. She is the best.

We may or may not give her actual orphans to adopt, at some point. But her heart is definitely already a home for the weary. 

Most Likely to Run Off With the Circus

Caroline again. 

Gubrettij again. 

FERDINAND again. (He wouldn't even realize he was running away, though, he'd just show up back at home five days later in a clown costume and be like "sorry I'm late, mom, there were these people with an ELEPHANT and I went up to say hi because I thought maybe it was Nora's long-lost brother and if it was I would want them to be able to see each other again, and they also had monkeys and I asked where they were going and they said to the next town and I said can I come and they said sure and--") 

Yeah I have a lot of characters who would join the circus on a whim. They're a fun cohort. 

Maybe that's why I'm still writing this story eight years after starting it?

Most Likely to Survive the Zombie Apocalypse

I think maybe Dar's uncle. 

(Don't ask me his name right now, it used to be Dow but then there were too many Ds so I changed it to Maxwell but Maxwell isn't sticking so I'm conflicted.) 

A lot of my characters with skill sets (i.e. Raff, Java) also have consciences and human attachments that would lead them to put their life on the line to save someone else, but I think Dar's uncle would be coldhearted enough to stick by his friends as long as they helped him survive and leave them behind as soon as they were putting him in danger. 

Or, y'know, maybe push them in the way of danger to buy himself some time.

(I really do Not like Dar's uncle.)

Most Likely to Fake Their Own Death

Java. 

Most Likely to Die and Haunt Their Friends

Also Java. 

Java is just....death dogs Java's heels, okay? He's too cool not to be a target. He's ASKING for it because he can TAKE it. 

Whether the authoress can take it is another matter.


WELL that was a lot of fun. Thank you, Sam, for the opportunity to gush about my own characters! I hereby invite anybody who wants to gush about their own characters to nab the tag from me. Just let me know that you nabbed it so I can enjoy the gushing, don't you know. 

Which characters are your favorite? Which of these would you be most likely to do? I think I'm the most likely to be found in the library. Shocker.

 


Comments

  1. So happy to see you do this tag! :)

    I have a feeling that I will really like Caroline. (But perhaps also that I wouldn't be friends with her in real life. Isn't it funny when there are characters we adore and would totally never get along with if they were real? I find it strange. Anyways.)

    "Dar Beauregard is whispering in my ear that he would look stunning in a kilt because he looks stunning in everything." XD I don't know if you've read The City Between at all, but just based on this post, Dar is giving me JinYeong vibes. I think Sarah might agree with me. (And he's totally won me over with his newly discovered library-sneaking exploits.)

    As a happy city person who also loves goat-herding, I'm just saying...you can have it both ways! XD

    Aww, I love your thoughts on how effective it is to see characters fall asleep just like that! <3 (Especially since you're using Dym as an example. GAH. I love Dym.)

    I REALLY want to read that scene with Caroline, Jude, Dar, and the french fries now. Like, a LOT. Just saying. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me!!!

      I do hope so. (And yes I know exactly what you mean. I've come to the realization lately that if I knew Dar in real life I would probably find him to be the most obnoxious human being on the face of the planet. As it is he's basically my favorite character I've ever written.) (I wonder if we enjoy reading about people who would annoy us in real life because it helps us understand a type that gets on our nerves? An exercise in empathy? Built into us by God?)

      Absolutely. I myself am a happy city person currently and I would not object to some hoofed creatures in my life.

      Right after I wrote this post I went and read yours on sleep, which was *chef's kiss.* I feel like our thoughts on sleep dovetail fairly well. (And DYM. YES. HE IS THE BEST.)

      I might just have to write it. We'll see if it fits in anywhere.

      Delete
    2. The comparison of Dar and JinYeong is one I NEVER would have thought of and gives me great joy. They're very different in some major ways (I think it's different *types* of Trauma = different personality trait built around response to and self-protection against said Trauma), but also they're both INCREDIBLY VAIN and fashionable and have their own interesting moral codes and like to steal stuff with ~style~. And go around with their noses in the air sassing people with (they think) impunity. I think JinYeong's healthier, though, just 'cause he had a better older-brother figure. (Like, Zero's not perfect, but he's sure as heck better than Dow.)

      *meanders off to ponder Dar/JinYeong for two hours*

      Delete
    3. Well in this case I shall have to put the Cities Between books on my TBR for sure. They were already tabbed "potentially rewarding" in my brain but now they're marked "do go to the library and see if they have them."

      Delete
  2. I almost had a heart attack because for a second there I thought you had combined Raff and Jude into one person. What a dreadful thought.

    I love all the answers. Particularly the ones involving Ferdinand or Dick. :) But also YES Aunt Veronica would 100% open an orphanage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would indeed have been tragic. (I've tried it before. It was Not Good. It shall never happen again.)

      I'm so glad, my dear. (And yes she totally would. There are enough rooms for it in the Staccato House, too. And Uncle Brett wouldn't have an issue with it so I'm not sure why it hasn't happened yet?)

      Delete
  3. *raises hand virtuously* I have listened to Simon & Garfunkel--

    (I've been editing Jennifer & Fred, and looking ahead to the scene when Jennifer first hears them, and um yes. Talk about poetry.)

    I love this story. Have I mentioned that? I LOVE DAR. Have I mentioned that? I LOVE CHRISTINA AS MUCH AS CHRISTINA LOVES INTERLOCKING GEARS AND I HOPE YOU WILL TELL HER SO.

    Of course Dorian would cheat on the test and has cheated many times off of darling good old Tort. He is the only proper answer for "Most Likely to Get Punched in the Face," even if it be but by me. I will gladly punch him in the face a thousand times. Petition to be transported into the story for this sole and exact purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *gives you a cookie* Good girl.

      (I LIVE FOR THE DAY THAT I GET TO READ JENNIFER & FRED.) (.....minor hyperbole. living is great even without jennifer & fred. but i foresee jennifer & fred greatly enhancing one's enjoyment of life, ergo, the hyperbole could be worse.)

      I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU LOVE THIS STORY AND MY RIDICULOUS CHARACTERS. Christina appreciates your love. She's awkward with words of affirmation but she appreciates it.

      YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE RIGHT HE //IS// THE ONLY CORRECT ANSWER. I don't know if I've mentioned this but my sisters and I have plans to make sure each and every member of the gang gets a chance to sock Dorian in the face so I hope that appeases your wrath.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Thanks for showing off your characters. Also, your drawing is amazing.

    I am currently in the brainstorming stages of writing my first original work of fiction: a vampire romance. I watched Interview With the Vampire (1994) last summer because I couldn't resist checking out Tom Cruise playing a vampire and the good Lord put the idea of writing a clean vampire romance on my heart.

    There aren't many clean and healthy vampire romances out there. I think we need a vampire romance hero who isn't a scumbag like Edward Cullen from Twilight. Sure, Edward's hot, but he's a manipulative and creepy jerk.

    Anyway, I literally had to look up tips for writing healthy romances for my vampire romance and another writing project. The most helpful article said Morticia and Gomez Addams' relationship should be one's model when it comes to writing healthy romances.

    I'm off to attempt to do a sketch of my vampire romance hero, whose appearance resembles Tom Cruise's vampire character, but with black wavy hair instead of blonde. Also, my vampires have pointy ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack Susana I'm so glad you enjoyed it! And you are too sweet, thank you!

      Oooh that whole idea sounds so interesting! I'm not very familiar with vampire romance as a genre...or vampires at all, really, outside of Bram Stoker's Dracula (and some of the old black and white movies). But clean and healthy romances I am always Here For. And ooh Morticia Addams I do kind of sort of know her!--I should maybe watch The Addams Family someday. It seems like a decently crucial bit of pop culture.

      Happy sketching! It's so much fun to draw one's characters, especially on days when the creative juices are flowing in just the right way. And I approve of the pointy ear idea.

      Delete
    2. Yes, you should definitely check out The Addams Family. I watched both of the 1990s movies starring Angelica Houston as Morticia Addams the week after Halloween. Angelica Housten is the perfect Morticia! So I recommend those.

      Other than Interview with Vampire 1994 starring Tom Cruise, I've seen the first Twilight and the 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula starring Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Keanu Reeves, and Winona Ryder and directed by Francis Ford Coppola. I loved the exorcism bits. Anthony Hopkins plays Professor Van Helsing, who does the exorcisms.

      Delete
    3. For the record, I don't know a whole lot about the vampire fiction genre, either. I was interested in it when I was interested in Twilight, but once it dawned on me that Edward was a creep and a jerk, my interested in Twilight vanished and with it, my interest in vampire fiction. But after Top Gun: Maverick came out in May, my interest in vampire fiction returned when I was reminded that Tom Cruise played a vampire in the 1994 Interview With A Vampire. And I couldn't resist checking that out. I like Tom Cruise, but I have short term phases of craziness about him when a new Top Gun movie comes out or I watch Mission: Impossible. While other folks primarily think of the weird and destructive cult he's in (Scientology) when they think of him, I primarily think of Top Gun, Mission: Impossible, and now Interview With the Vampire when I think of Tom Cruise. There's one other movie that I've seen him in, a spy thriller, but it’s not nearly as memorable as Top Gun, Mission: Impossible, and Interview with the Vampire.

      Delete
    4. *adds The Addams Family to the to-be-watched list*

      I can imagine Anthony Hopkins making a good Van Helsing! Van Helsing's pretty cool in the book, although my favorite character overall had to have been Quincey Morris. Good man. It doesn't hurt that he's a cowboy. :)

      I've seen a Mission: Impossible movie before! I forget which one but it was fun. Top Gun is on my list!

      Delete
    5. Yeah, both Top Gun movies are good.

      Delete
    6. Yeah, I like Van Helsing, too, but my favorite character is Johnathan Harker. I haven't read the novel. But Johnathan Harker is played by Keanu Reeves in the '92 version.

      Delete
    7. And this is Keanu Reeves before The Matrix made him famous.

      Delete
    8. I'll have to see both Top Gun movies at some point! Jonathan Harker is pretty likeable in the book, as I recall...well, actually, he's arguably a little insipid (completely eclipsed by Quincey and the other dashing gents), but a good actor could help fix that for sure. :)

      Delete
    9. A heads up for both Top Gun movies: they have one sex scene each. The sex scene in the first one is on the explicit side, but I look at the ceiling or close my eyes. The scene in the second one is not explicit and implies a sexual encounter. Even though it was an extramarital sexual encounter, they handled it rather well. You see the couple collapsing slowly on the bed as they kiss. Both people are fully clothed. Then in the next shot, they're just talking and laughing in bed. Tom Cruise's character is shirtless in the subsequent shots of them talking and laughing but the woman is fully clothed. The filmmakers made the emotional bond between the couple the focus of the scene rather than their sexual relationship. That is one of the few instances where I didn't feel the need to be cautious about a sex scene.

      Delete
    10. It was a welcome change to not have to be wary about a sex scene. I even commented on another Catholic geek blog that filmmakers should use the Top Gun: Maverick method for implied sexual encounter scenes more often when it's absolutely necessary for them to include an implied sexual encounter scene.

      Delete
    11. Once you see Top Gun: Maverick, you'll know exactly what I mean.

      Delete
    12. Thanks for the heads up, Susana! I agree, filmmakers can and should be classy about that kind of thing. Sometimes (i.e. in a lot of murder mysteries) you can't get away with having all the characters lead virtuous love lives, but that doesn't mean we can't be CLASSY about it.

      Delete
  6. But Interview With the Vampire was definitely out of Tom's usual genre: action. There are multiple instances where Tom has done movies outside of the action genre. But these days, it's rare to see him do anything outside of action movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now, I have to add a good portion of Oblivion (2013) to the list of Tom Cruise movies I've seen.

      Delete
    2. Action is a good genre. Sounds like you're becoming quite the Tom Cruise films expert!

      Delete
    3. Wel, he's attractive and a good actor.

      Delete
    4. Oh, and before I forget, this is the URL for the new site of my blog: https://the-autistic-catholic.cms.webnode.page/

      Delete

Post a Comment