On Leaving the Sherman Ranch: In Which I Wax Emotional about Jess Harper and Laramie (1959-1963)
It's Legends of Western Cinema Week! This delightful annual blogathon (which you can join HERE) is hosted by Hamlette, Heidi, and Olivia, and is one of my tippy-top favorite blogging events. I had to miss it last year, cuz I was busy, but I'm back. And while in the past I've used every single LoWCW to squeal about The Magnificent Seven (1960)....this year I'm gonna squeal about Laramie (1959-1963).
(Apologies to those of my readers who have already seen this. It's new to the blogosphere, but I actually wrote it a while ago.)
| Since the draft of this post is a year old, I have no idea where I got this image. But for context, Slim (John Smith) is on the left and Jess (Robert Fuller) is on the right. |
I love Laramie (1959-1963). I love almost everything about it: the way it's so shamelessly and simply a Western, the way each episode is 45 minutes long, the way the first two seasons are in black and white while the last two seasons are in color. I love how surprisingly complex and compelling individual episodes are--like "Trial by Fire," which you think is going to be about forest fires but which turns out to be about a saloon girl trying to escape into a new life as a fraudulent mail-order bride. I love the characters: steady-going Slim Sherman with his strong sense of justice and beaming smile, quick-tempered Jess Harper with his fierce loyalty and checkered past. I love the fatherly sheriff Mort Corey and the delightfully motherly housekeeper Daisy Cooper (whom at first blush I did not like at all, but about whom I could now ramble for pages). I love Slim and Jess' friendship and the way it sits at the very heart of the show. I love the Cyril Mockridge score. I love the dramatic dialogue. I love Jess' horse and the white star on its forehead. I love it I love it I love it.
Something about Laramie I do NOT love: the quantity of episodes in which either Slim or Jess rides away from the ranch, resulting in 45 minutes of glorious Western TV spent in the company of only one of the boys. Not both of them together. One of them alone.
I hate for cowboys to be lone cowboys.
I hate when main characters ride away from home.
Because a home is a lovely thing, you know? It's a place where you are safe. More than that--it's a place where you are loved. A place where you have people to take care of you (and people for you to take care of). It's a hospital for loneliness.
And not everyone has one. So homes are especially nice when they're opened up to people who need them.
And if I had to pick one reason to love Laramie, it would be the fact that it's really a found family story. Jess Harper starts out alone, and then the Sherman Ranch offers him a home, and through having a home, he becomes a better person. He's your typical angsty drifter, Jess Harper is--dark and slight and quick on the draw, popular with the ladies but not one to stick around, a Confederate veteran of the Civil War who left his family somewhere in Texas and has been on the wrong side of the law. His shady past follows him around throughout the show--and even as late as Season 3, it sometimes gets the better of him. (See "The Replacement," wherein Jess gets involved in a plot to gun down a lawman.) But through it all Slim is there to keep him straight, to challenge him to a life of virtue.
(Sarah Seele wrote a post years ago on what a great friend Jess is, and it's beautiful and you should read it--and I would just like to add, the kind of grace Jess extends Hatch in "The Star Trail" is exactly the kind of grace Slim extends Jess throughout the show.)
And gradually, through being at Sherman Ranch and having a real friend in Slim and a spiritual mother in Daisy Cooper and a virtual little brother in Andy (or Mike, depending on the season)--through having a home with these people, Jess heals.
You know how sometimes, in a show without major plot points, you can detect gradual shifts in mood even though there's no real emphasis on character arcs? It's subtle, but I am just so proud of Jess in Season 4. He's always been good at doing for others what Slim has done for him--the verse "we love because He first loved us" inevitably comes to mind--but in Season 4 there is a decided feeling of settledness and permanence in Jess Harper's status as a citizen of Laramie. There's an episode where he struggles to balance his loyalty to the town with family loyalty, and in that one what makes the conflict painful in the way the townspeople put all their trust unreservedly in Jess; they're willing to back him no matter what--this deputy who once was a drifter.
There's even an episode ("The Last Battleground") where he's able to be to Slim what Slim has always been to him--a steadying influence who keeps him from flying off the handle when old hurts get stirred up.
Jess has healed by Season 4--he's healed a lot. What were once raw wounds are now merely scars. The kind you can show off and say, "Look what I've been through. Look what I've survived."
The Sherman Ranch is a good place for Jess to be. And I just want him to stay there forever. To be safe with Daisy and Mike and Slim and just have a quiet, normal life. To just...be home.
I want Jess to always be either at the Sherman Ranch or by Slim's side.
But he can't.
The fact of life (and of Western cinema) is, there are cattle drives to go on and bank robbers to chase down, cattle rustlers to apprehend and weeks Mort Corey needs a deputy. There are times when Jess has to ride away from Sherman Ranch. There are times when he can't be at home.
That's the way our lives work, too, y'know?
The similarity between Jess Harper and the life of a mature Christian struck me the day before I left home the first time, and I can't tell you how much comfort it brought me. Which is probably weird, but whatever gets you through the day, am I right?
Just like Jess Harper, each of us is a wounded individual. (Almost nobody I know prefers Slim to Jess, except for my sisters, which makes sense because my sisters are outrageously healthy people.) We might not be haunted gunslingers, but we've been dinked up in our years of living. And we badly need a place to heal. A place to be loved with the unconditional love that only God can give, but which usually comes to us through human vessels. Sometimes that comes from our biological family; sometimes it comes from a spiritual family, like the one Jess finds at the Sherman Ranch.
And once we've received that healing love through acceptance and friendship--we can't just rest in it.
We should rest in it, to be sure, but we can't just rest in it.
We have to go out.
Because there are other wounded people out there. Other haunted drifters. Other Jess Harpers.
Who's going to be Christ to them, if not us?
Jess can't leave all the do-gooding to Slim. He's got to pull his weight around Laramie. He's got to be a credit to his partner, prove that Slim's faith in him wasn't wasted. (I honestly think some 80% of Jess' motivations in the show can be traced to his gratitude for the second chance Slim gave him. Maybe more than 80%.)
So yeah. We've gotta go out, like Jess. And it's not fun.
And the scary part is, once we set out, there is no guarantee we'll come back in this lifetime.
"Tell Slim to look for me when he sees me," says a justly angered Jess Harper to Sheriff Mort Corey in "The Marshals," one of the last episodes of the final season. He rides off after the bad guys--and ends up getting shot to pieces.
(Because of course he does. Have I mentioned that Laramie has a melodrama problem? I actually think "The Marshals" is an unhealthy episode because it's just reveling in melodrama. But it also works perfectly for the sake of this argument, so I'll stop grumbling.)
Jess has no guarantee of making it back to the Sherman Ranch alive.
It's not pretty.
But it's real, y'know? The West is not a safe place, and neither is the world. It's a dangerous business going out your door, and all that.
The thing is, cowboys are not meant to be safe all the time. Neither are Christians.
The important thing is not staying safe at the Sherman Ranch. The Sherman Ranch is training ground for Slim Shermans. The duty of rehabilitated Jess Harpers is to go bring a bit of the justice and courage and stout goodhearted humor that is the Sherman Ranch into an unforgiving wild Western world.
Anyway.
One more nice thing about Sherman Ranches:
You may not have any guarantee of making it back. But if you do make it back, you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be glad to see you.
"What's the matter?" says a more-than-usually banged-up Jess Harper as he steps out of the wagon at the end of "The Marshals." "Aren't you glad to see me?" And Slim and Daisy and Mike welcome him home with open arms.
Even if Jess hadn't made it back that particular time--it's nice to have something like that to come back to.
And this whole thing has got me thinking--what I really want to do with my life is establish a Sherman Ranch of my own, y'know? Retire from Jess Harpering and become a Daisy Cooper.
OK now I'm actually done.
I go now to read other peoples' contributions to Legends of Western Cinema Week, and I highly advise you to do the same! Happy trails!


"The West is not a safe place, and neither is the world. It's a dangerous business going out your door, and all that.
ReplyDeleteThe thing is, cowboys are not meant to be safe all the time. Neither are Christians."
Love. This.
I've never heard of this one, but you definitely made a compelling case to plonk it on my TBW list and hunt it down presto.
Thanks so much for the great post and joining in LOWCW! :)
Thanks, Heidi! I'm glad to hear Laramie is on your TBW. :D
DeleteThank YOU for hosting! As previously stated, this party is one of my favorite blogging events of the year. :)
Your preferring the eps where the two MCs are together reminds me of how almost all my favorite eps of The Big Valley are ones that involve at least 3 of the Barkleys, and possibly all of them. They just work much better together!
ReplyDeleteAlso, describing a home as "a hospital for loneliness" is my new favorite phrase. I am a homebody and a homemaker and a homelover, and that is PERFECT.
I have not seen Laramie BUT... my dad has at least one season on DVD, so next time I go visit him, I will try to watch some. Any specific ep recommendations, if I only have time for 1 or 2?
Yes! Team work makes the dream work. Or the TV show work, in this case. :P
DeleteThere's a particular charism for homemaking, I think, and it is SUCH a beautiful thing.
Ooh! Yes yes I have recs! Let's see if I can find an episode from each season so you have some options.
S1 E11: "Dark Verdict"--Revolves around Slim and Jess trying to get justice for a man accused of murder. I think this was the first episode I saw considerable chunks of on TV and it was enough to get me interested. It involves Slim being golden and Jess losing his temper, so there's not much more you could ask for.
S1 E3: "Circle of Fire"--Wherein the Sherman Ranch is surrounded by Pawnee on the war path. I feel like I had moral quibbles with this episode, but the formula is classic Laramie. ("The Sound of Bells" in S2 uses a similar plot, but it has a Christmas theme. I think I like it better.)
S2 E40: "License to Kill"--THIS IS MY FAVORITE. A bounty hunter comes looking for Jess. Much drama ensues. It has a super satisfying ending, too. Would highly recommend as a first-watched episode.
S2 E60: "Trigger Point"--doesn't involve Slim, sadly, but the stage gets trapped in the desert and Jess has to help keep the party alive. Strikes me as a quintessential Laramie episode for some reason.
S3 E89: "The Replacement"--Jess gets involved in an ex-Confederate-POW plot to kill the man who was in charge of their prison. Involves Slim trying to keep Jess straight and Jess making decisions based on his personal loyalties, which is always fun.
S3 E91: "Trial by Fire"--Jess rides out to help a middle-aged neighbor save his farm from a forest fire, just in time to meet the neighbor's pretty young mail-order bride. I just think this is a really, really well-written episode. It did NOT take the turns I was expecting it to take and it remains one of my favorites, even though there's not enough Slim.
S4 E119: "The Last Battleground"--Notable for digging into Slim's tragic past (instead of Jess') and having /Jess/ tell /Slim/ to cool off.
S4 E124: "The Road to Helena"--Slim helps a saloon girl and her aging father travel through the wilderness so they can return some ill-gotten gains. No Jess, but still pretty good.
Thanks for the reccs! I will probably be visiting my parents again this fall, so I will save this for reference then :-D These sound great!!!
DeleteMy pleasure! I hope you enjoy!
DeleteI have virtually nothing to contribute, here, since I haven't seen this show, but! I did want to address this: "You know how sometimes, in a show without major plot points, you can detect gradual shifts in mood even though there's no real emphasis on character arcs?" Because, YES. My favorite characterization moments are the ones where you subtly realize that all along, the character has been changing and growing without you even realizing it, but something about this specific moment so clearly highlights where they've been and where they are now. It tends to make me emotional, lol.
ReplyDeleteYES! I love it when that happens! It's so realistic, too, y'know? We don't usually make 180-degree changes in our lives overnight. Like, sometimes we do. But it's rare. Usually we just change very gradually. And it's beautiful to see that reflected in fiction.
DeleteThis is such a great piece of writing. I don't think I've actually seen a whole episode of Laramie from beginning to end, but I'm familiar with it (made at the same time, filmed on the same sets, featuring the same guest actors as The Virginian, one of my own favorite '60s TV Westerns), just familiar enough to appreciate what a beautiful job you do writing about the characters here. Bravo!
ReplyDelete*one month later*
DeleteThanks so much, Elisabeth! Ooh I'm not familiar with The Virginian but if it's got that much in common with Laramie I am intrigued.
I've never heard of "Laramie" before, but now I'm definitely intrigued. Thanks for this.
ReplyDeleteI certainly think it's a good show! Hope you like it if you watch it. :)
Deletethe line about your "ridiculously healthy sisters" made me snort most immoderately XD
ReplyDeleteLol they're just so wonderful it's annoying. XD
Delete*tiptoes in quietly* Not related to anything at all, but I just wanted to say that I tagged you for the Sunshine Blogger Award: https://starlightandsaucepans.org/sunshine-blogger-award/
ReplyDeleteNo pressure, of course; only if/when you feel like it :)
~ Lizzie Hexam
OOH thank you so much, Lizzie! I am honored to have been tagged and can't wait to go check out your post *whimpers because she is so behind on all the bloggerly things* *but whimpers happily because it's good to know there are good things to go back to when one finds the time*
DeleteLooking forward to your answers! :D (Eh, don't worry; we hold it not against you that you have a life outside of blogging :P)
DeleteHA. STORY OF MY LIFE (especially in the last few months; DO YOU KNOW how many times I've been like "ooh I'll comment on that when I'm not reading on my phone" and NOPE it never happens *eyeroll*).
ReplyDeleteGirl, it's so beautiful that you've got families in both places. That's how it's supposed to be, like, ideally. I don't know if I got to this in the above post but I feel like a big part of going out is not just "going out and saving the day," but, in the long run, "going out and creating other homes" (for yourself as well as for other people). Which gets weird when you have multiple places/communities that you feel at home in and want to spend time with and CAN'T be in all at the same time; much of a blessing as it is, it's also a kind of cross, being pulled in lots of different (all good) directions. And it's a nice reminder that our only true home is Heaven.
OF COURSE YOU HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE HAPPY TO SEE YOU. <3 My dear you're too ridiculous. And I'm glad your friends reminded you of that. ;) Thank YOU for your kind words.