The February-April Fiction Report

I can no longer pretend it's "book reports with a side of movie reviews." I might not watch many movies these days, but I watch twice as many movies as I do books, and fiction is fiction--one gets emotionally and intellectually invested in both, don't you see. 

So here are my thoughts and feelings on everything I've read and watched since February. In case you were interested. 

Image credits go to Goodreads. 

PART I:
The Books of February-April
arranged in the order that I read them

Some Short Stories by Bret Harte

One of my high school lit teachers introduced me to Bret Harte with "The Luck of Roaring Camp" way back when, and several years later I found a faded but still distinguished hardcover edition of his notable short stories at my uncle's garage sale. When I was home for a midwinter break I told my sister (the Wit, who shares my Rio Bravo obsession), "you know what, you would like these, they're Westerns but in melodramatic short story form." So I read her "The Luck of Roaring Camp" and "The Outcasts of Poker Flat," and also read "Miggles" by myself. It was a good time. 

"The Luck of Roaring Camp"--featuring a baby who is born into a mining camp populated entirely by roughnecks of a more or less criminal variety (this includes the mother, the only female citizen of Roaring Camp, who promptly dies). The men decide to try their hand at raising the baby themselves. Much hilarity and tenderness ensues. Also heartbreak. (Because this is an American short story, and it wouldn't be an American short story if there wasn't a big tonal twist at the end.) Our favorite character is Kentuck, but Stumpy is pretty great too (our Rio Bravo obsession might have something to do with our fondness for him? but apparently all Stumpys are feisty and stouthearted and loveable). 

"The Outcasts of Poker Flat"--featuring Oakhurst the Gambler, who, incidentally, hails from Roaring Camp and is, I think, even closer to my heart than Kentuck. The premise of this story is that Oakhurst and a number of other disreputable characters are kicked out of town and forced to shift for themselves as best they can on their way to the next outpost of civilization; but they get trapped in a snowstorm and, well, it isn't pretty. I feel like the plot here is a little bit weak (or maybe I just don't understand the severity of the winter weather and the impossibility of trooping through it), and I don't appreciate what happens to Oakhurst in the end, but I like the warm spark of humanity that glows through it and I ship a certain couple SUPER DUPER HARD. My verdict: mixed feelings. 

"Miggles"--this one is unusual for being told in first person; it's narrated by a passenger on a stagecoach that stops and stays the night at "Miggles' place," whoever Miggles is. Miggles does eventually make an appearance and is revealed to be--well, the whole point of the story is to surprise you with Miggles' identity and character, so I won't spoil it. Just in case you do read it someday. (It's not my favorite Bret Harte story, even though it does feature a redemptive look-how-warm-and-human theme that turned out to be better than I remembered.) (Bret Harte does redemptive look-how-warm-and-human themes a lot, actually. He's quite good at them.) 

The Case of the Missing Marquess, by Nancy Springer


I've semi-recently made the acquaintance, via Netflix, of Sherlock Holmes' spunky little sister Enola. I like her quite a lot. She's a fun time. I like her hapless aristocrat friend Tewkesbury probably even better (I have a weakness for hapless aristocrats, especially when they're young men with the innocence of three-year-olds). So I figured I'd better read the books.

I was desperate for something light and quick to read, and Book 1 of the Enola Holmes series delivered. It was a decent book, I think--so much fun that the pros way outweighed the cons for me. 

What were the cons, you ask?

--the feminist themes struck me as too heavy-handed (at a certain point some of the ink used to paint the horror of Victorian corsets in vivid colors could have been used to develop characters or advance the plot)
--it takes Enola a long time to get out of the house (which is probably an important part of the thematic feminism; like, yes, I see how the plot is mirroring the social limitations forced on Victorian women, 'tis very clever, but I am bored)
--it takes a long time for Enola to meet Tewkesbury (do you see how seeing the movie first is ruining the book for me?)
--sometimes I was a little shocked by the adultness of the social commentary...like if the book is targeted at 8- to 12-year-olds (which I believe it is) then maybe we shouldn't be referencing prostitution? (but that's probably very Victorian of me) 

So much for the cons. Let us do a balancing list of things that I really and truly enjoyed:

--the prose! it was elegant enough to make me believe Enola actually is a Victorian, and not a modern girl transported into the Victorian age for the express purpose of being annoyed by corsets
--SHERLOCK HOLMES! this probably isn't the proper place for me to declaim my views on Sherlock Holmes, but basically, I love the concept of Sherlock Holmes and I adore the 1954 TV series with Ronald Howard, but the canonical Sherlock Holmes with his lack of healthy relationships makes me a) bored (with the original stories) and b) kinda sad (I wish he really were best buds with Watson in precisely the 1954 Ronald Howard way). I loved how Nancy Springer was able to give us a Sherlock Holmes who is faithful to the Arthur Conan Doyle stories (the analytical personality, the lack of emotion, the melancholia), and yet insist that he is still human and as such is capable of good relationships. (because if you think about it, no matter how analytical you are, you still need PEOPLE. *humphs*) 
--how Enola Holmes JUST WANTS A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH HER BROTHER.
--how CLEVER Enola is. (her escape from her original domicile, when it finally came, was worth the wait.)
--the way the themes ended up being about more than just feminism.
--Tewkesbury! he was worth the wait, too. 
--the overall cleverness of it.

At the end of the day, my favorite thing about this book was how it set things up for the series. Like. It was so promising. There are so many characters in play and so many aspects of the setting fleshed out. And I'm excited. Particularly to see how the relationships grow. I need to get my hands on Book 2. 

Scaramouche, by Rafael Sabatini


What FUN this was. Thanks awfully to Sarah Seele for recommending it. 

It was just so chock full of swashbuckling stuff. Swordplay? Check. Romance? Check. Political tensions running super duper high between aristocrats and commoners at the dawn of the French Revolution? Check. 

Andre-Louis is a grand protagonist. I like him muchly. He's dramatic in such a way where he feels like he should be a trope, but he isn't cuz I can't think of anyone else quite like him. Like, he's young and bold and devil-may-care but with an extremely extremely dry sense of humor and a dash of profound cynicism. And he talks so well.

But then, Sabatini himself just writes so well. There were so many instances where I just wanted to put down the book, blink, and stare at a sentence for awhile. Because...yeah, wow. Sabatini's command of the English language is MASTERFUL. Which is especially impressive because English was not his first language. He just wanted to write in English cuz he thought the best novels were written in English. (On another level I guess it makes SENSE that if you poured enough time and effort into a foreign language to be truly fluent in it, you would have a better ear for what makes that language so powerful in ways that other languages might not be. Y'know? Like being "new" to a language might make you more awake to its particular advantages over other languages.) (And on another note, I appreciate that Sabatini appreciated English. I feel like English-speakers who study other languages tend to come away with an idea that English is sloppy by comparison, so it's nice to know that it can work the other way around, lol.) 

Anyway back to the book itself. 

The plot is quite surprising.

It shouldn't be surprising because it's so extremely chock full of tropes. Like revenge and aliases and rivalry in love. Yet it surprised the heck out of me at least twice, with plenty of smaller surprises along the way. 

I just....really enjoyed it. This was a treasure of a book to read for the first time, and if you've not yet had the pleasure, I advise you to posthaste.

The Song of Roland 


Speaking of tropes and swordplay and loveable protagonists-- 

The Song of Roland is just my favorite piece of medieval literature out there, guys. Not that I've read a whole lot of medieval literature. But not even Beowulf comes truly close in my estimation. 

Actually--and this is gonna sound blasphemous--in some ways I greatly prefer The Song of Roland to The Lord of the Rings

I love the friendship between Roland and Oliver.

I love what a prideful IDIOT Roland is, and how badly that idiocy ends up kicking him in the rear, and how after the first flabbergasted shock or five he realizes, "gosh, I guess it's really my fault" and repents with childish sorrow. 

I love how Oliver is so OVER IT.

I love how, even though Oliver is over it and Roland is an idiot, they never even come close to actually hating each other. That moment when the mortally wounded Oliver accidentally whacks the swooning Roland over the helmet, and Roland wakes up and is like, "jeepers, bro, I must have really hurt your feelings" and Oliver is like "my friend, I'm so sorry, please forgive me" (when really Roland has a LOT more to apologize for)--ACK MY HEART.

When Oliver dies I almost want to stop reading because who cares about anything anymore. 

I love the death of Roland, how he doesn't despair over his sinfulness but simply beats his breast in humble repentance and gives his soul to God's charge (and his glove to the angel Gabriel). 

I'm not so big on the whole climactic battle between Charlemagne and the Paynims, and Charlemagne baptizing the city at sword-point (say whaaaa?), and the execution of Ganelon (although it is intensely satisfying to see Ganelon get his due, especially at the trial when he's still trying to be cool about it. part of me really likes Ganelon. he's all flashing eyes and puffed-out chest and you can see a family resemblance between him and his stepson, except that Roland's pride is a childish idiotic oblivious kind of pride that is quick to laugh and quick to forgive, and Ganelon's pride is a cold sincere brooding one that kills him from the inside out). 

I also greatly appreciate Dorothy L. Sayers as translator and commentator. I didn't actually read her introduction this time around, but I skimmed bits of it, and I just...really appreciate her. She's a cool lady. 

The Rainbow of Sorrow and Seven Words of Jesus and Mary: Lessons from Cana and Calvary, by Fulton Sheen


Fulton Sheen's meditations on the Seven Last Words of Christ are my go-to spiritual reading for Good Friday. My family owns the anthology The Seven Last Words which is comprised of 7 books that he wrote arranged in a rather confusing but very creative (and wholly gratifying) way (by word instead of by book), and I like to skip through the anthology in such a way that I'm reading one book at a time. 

The story of the Good Thief is usually my favorite part. 

(I meant to read Raymond Arroyo's picture book The Thief Who Stole Heaven over Holy Week, as well, but I forgot to get around to it and now it's far away and I'll have to wait until next time I go home, alas.) 

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, tr. J.R.R. Tolkien


I would probably be much happier as a reader of medieval epics if I could stop comparing everything to The Song of Roland.

See, Sir Gawain is a good story. There’s nothing wrong with it. But I can’t get over the things that it isn’t about, that Roland IS about: brothers-in-arms, brothers-in-arms facing certain death, desperate battles, world-threatening stakes, vengeance and betrayal, ars mortis. Etc. I also think I prefer the primitive poetry of Roland to the more sophisticated verse of the Gawain poet. 

All this to say that I think I’ve identified one thing about Gawain that IS comparable to Roland, and that is: both poems feature the failure and consequent humiliation of an heroic knight heretofore confident in his adherence to the chivalric code. Gawain is a good bean all the way through the poem, but I love him most when he’s beating himself up for the mistake he made at the end of his adventure. He’s uniquely endearing because the mistake he made was (to my thinking at least) a relatively minor one; his distress over not being perfect is kind of amusing, but I sincerely admire his commitment to never forgetting his moment of failure. Living in your faults is super unhealthy, of course, but I don’t think Gawain is refusing to forgive himself here so much as he is refusing to forget he is capable of falling, in the interests of not falling again. And the way the other knights of the Round Table react to his commitment is just adorable. Maybe it is a brothers-in-arms story, after all.

The Silver Chair, by C. S. Lewis


It took me a long time to come to an intellectual appreciation for The Silver Chair, but I think this time around is the first time it hit EMOTIONALLY. 

Like...it was what I needed this year. Particularly this winter. There was one week in particular that I crept to bed early to read it and just...felt for Jill with every fiber of my being, because I WAS Jill in that moment. 

I actually do truly really love Jill. I stand by my opinion that C. S. Lewis gets better at child characterization as the series goes on. (I'm revisiting Digory and Polly in The Magician's Nephew now, and DANG are they well-written kids.) 

And RILIAN. I really, really, really love Rilian, actually. I just FEEL for the guy. And he TALKS so splendidly. 

Are You My Mother?, by P. D. Eastman 


This was one of my favorite books when I was a wee one. And I got a chance to read it to one of my favorite groups of wee ones recently. 

It was glorious. P. D. Eastman is a genius, the story is simple yet literary ("he looked up. he did not see her. he looked down. he did not see her." << poetic, i tell you), the illustrations are delightful, and my kiddos were very engaged. 

Can someone pay me to be a full-time read-aloud-er, please? 

PART II:
The Movies of February-April
ranked in order of my subjective enjoyment, from what most depressed me to what made me happiest.
(rewatches are starred. two stars means I watched it twice this round of reviews #noshame)

Jersey Boys (2014)

After I wrote my Four Seasons post, my roommate (I have 4; let's call this one Paprika) asked me if I'd ever seen Jersey Boys (she never had). We were coming home in an Uber on a drizzly Saturday night with supplies for an indoor picnic and we needed something to watch, so we pulled up the trailer on her phone and, delighted with the mid-century aesthetic and the Four Seasons soundtrack, decided it exactly matched our vibe for the evening.

So we went home and watched it. 

And it was a mistake.

Not really. It's gonna make a great memory and I'm grateful for the time with Paprika. And honestly, I enjoyed the movie well enough while we were actually watching it. The music does not disappoint, the aesthetics were indeed gorgeous, and the mafia subplot that started the film off with a bang and never entirely went away was an unexpected point of interest. 

BUT GUYS. THIS MOVIE IS SO DEPRESSING. It's based on the Broadway musical, but it's not letting itself focus on the music because it's also trying to be a biopic of Frankie Valli; and it can't quite decide, I don't think, if it wants to be more about the band and its breakup or the lead singer and his personal life. So it tries to cover both, and jumps around from topic to topic in a choppy and most unsatisfying manner. The thematic cohesion is lacking. To say the least. And the story is sad. Not in a redemptive way, either. 

I went to bed thinking I could never listen to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons the same way again.

And I don't think movies have the right to be depressing. I think they have the right to tell a story about something depressing. But if they're going to do that, they have to pick a theme and arrange the depressing events around that theme in such a way that you walk away feeling like you learned something about the human condition. Even if the characters didn’t.

Even if it's impossible to put a redemptive spin on things, there should be some sense of purpose to it in the end. 

I think this movie would have been so much better if it had identified and drawn out a tragic flaw in its protagonist other than being from Jersey. Anytime events went downhill in such a way that Paprika and I were screaming "WHY DON'T YOU JUST DO XYZ," some character would look at the camera and say some variation of, "If you don't get it, you're not from Jersey." Instead of allowing Frankie to have agency and take personal responsibility for his actions, they just kept blaming his decisions on his background as a Jersey boy: he's caught in a cycle and this is the way it's got to be. 

Which is just so AWFUL. And SAD. And I don't LIKE it. 

On the plus side, I know at least the first names of all the Four Seasons now, and have a deep appreciation for Bob Gaudio as a songwriter. 

Without Remorse (2021)

I watched this one with my other roommate (let's call her Cardamom). It's based on a Tom Clancy novel but set in the current day instead of during the Cold War, and involves a military guy getting revenge on the military dudes who broke into his house and killed his wife and baby. 

I like intense military movies as a general rule, but this one was too intense for me, and I found I didn't actually like the protagonist. I feel for him but I don't actually like him. There's a difference. 

But time spent with Cardamom is time well spent, so no regrets. 

The Sons of Katie Elder (1965)*

*there be spoilers ahead*

I rewatched this John Wayne/Dean Martin Western with my sisters, because I didn't trust my opinion on it when I watched it by myself. Here is their hot take: it doesn't work, because leading up to the climax John Elder's whole moral goal is to make Katie proud by not resorting to violence, but then as soon as all of his brothers get shot up, he takes recourse in violence not only to bring the bad guy to justice but to satisfy his personal vendetta. And Katie would not be proud. 

I think they have a point.

Also I'm just really bugged by the brothers getting shot up in the end. I'd like it a lot more if there was one more happy scene in the end. If we could see Tom and John and Bud happy and whole together. The last shot of the rocker is cool and all, and I know in my head that Tom and Bud are gonna be okay, but I want more than an intellectual knowledge of that--I want to see it and feel it and know it in my heart. 

Maybe I ask too much. 

Here Comes the Boom (2012)

My family discovered this in my absence and were desirous of sharing it with me, so we watched it all together, which was a good time.

It's about a high school science teacher who wants to save his school's music program, mostly because he's pals with the music teacher, whose wife is expecting a baby in their old age. Which is rather a unique premise to begin with. What makes it more unique still is that the high school teacher decides to make the money to save the school music program by getting involved in...WWE? Some form of performative wrestling/boxing/physical fighting? I forget the term for it, it's been awhile. 

Anywho. It wasn't really my cup of tea but it always brings me great joy to see my mom enjoy a movie, especially when it's not the kind of movie I would expect her to like at all. 

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

I'd been meaning for some time to watch this vaguely-Christmas-themed rom com about a girl who gets mistaken for her comatose crush's fiancée, goes along with it, and ends up falling in love with her supposed fiancé's brother.  

I liked the fact that Lucy (that was her name, right?) works at the subway station. And the story on the whole was pretty cute and rather funny.

I think...I don't...actually like romcoms as much as I would expect myself to? My family never watched them growing up, except for Return to Me (2000), which the internet informs me is not technically a romcom but a romantic comedy drama

It's just...they're always a little more inappropriate than I expect them to be.

You can, in fact, tell a story about people falling deeply in love WITHOUT making jokes about sex, believe it or not. Just look at Jane Austen. 

Anywho. I don't mean to hate on While You Were Sleeping. It was cute. Really. I probably would've loved it more if I'd watched it without my 8-year-old sister in the room, though. 

A League of Their Own

I love baseball. Paprika loves baseball. I had never seen A League of Their Own. A League of Their Own is one of Paprika’s favorite movies. Obviously a movie night was in order.

Our honorary roommate Pepper watched this one with us, too. It was a glorious evening.

“The men go off to war and the girls play baseball without them” is a plot I’ve tried to write before, albeit on a much smaller scale; so the premise of this one greatly appealed to me, even if it was grown women instead of girls and the pros instead of a local league and WWII instead of WWI. 

And the promising premise was charmingly executed.

The 1940s are just a fun vibe, you know (other than people getting killed overseas, that is). And baseball is a fun vibe. And feminism as it existed in the 1930s and 1940s is probably the kind of feminism that annoys me the least. (You go, Rosie the Riveter. You go, WASPs. You go, Amelia Earhart.) (Well Earhart to a certain extent I guess. WASPs, all the way.) (oh oh oh and DOROTHY SAYERS. My favorite kind of feminist fits into this era quite well, yes precious.)

Anywho enough about Megan’s personal historic preferences, what about the story?

Dottie was lovely. Kit was lovely. Doris and Evelyn (it’s Sharona from Monk!) and Mae and Marla were lovely. “Lovely” would be a strong word for Jimmy Dugan, but I’ll allow it. And Dottie's husband Bob was lovely. 

Actually, Bob’s relationship with Dottie was lovely. I was worried there for a while that the movie was gonna do some steamy stuff with Dottie and Jimmy, seeing as how Bob’s never really characterized in the beginning and his being Dottie’s husband off at war seems more like a fun fact about Dottie’s marital status? But what do you know we can be classy. (While also acknowledging that there’s something awkwardly akin to attraction between the leads. Like…it’s real, as Paprika would say.)

And KIT. Can we take a moment to appreciate the relationship between Dottie and her sister? Darling. Also super frustrating cuz Kit is a major bonehead with self-esteem issues. But darling overall. I love how it’s a sister story at heart. We need more of those.

Huh let's see, do I have any other commentary? 

Oh yes! Content. This one ain’t for kiddos, people. Due mostly to language and inappropriate jokes, several of a sacrilegious nature. Look-past-able if you’re mature enough, but unfortunate. 

A fun time overall. Made me want to go out and play baseball. 

(The day after we watched A League of Their Own I made Pepper and Paprika watch The Perfect Game with me, because the vibes are super similar and The Perfect Game is, methinks, a perfectly SOLID movie. I had to miss the last 15 minutes of it when I watched it with them, though, so I'm gonna consider it ineligible for this batch of movie reviews. This post is already long enough.) 

High School Musical (2006)

Whereas the first four movies on this list let me down to some extent (not A League of Their Own—A League of Their Own pleasantly met expectations), this movie didn't let me down at ALL, because I was expecting approximately zero from it. 

My honorary roommate Pepper (have you noticed a pattern in my made-up roommate names?) found out I'd never seen High School Musical and was genially shocked. She promptly sat me down to watch it and guess what? I had a lot of fun. I enjoyed it way more than I expected to. Like, it was genuinely cute. Feel-good, innocent teenage drama. 

(I can see being the parent of a preteen and not wanting my kid to watch it and get all these ideas about falling in love in high school, which I think is why my household never went in for it growing up. But as a twenty-something looking back on the early 2000s and being nostalgic for teenagerhood and needing something light and fun? Just what the doctor ordered.) 

The Alamo (1960)

This is my sisters' new favorite movie. My family was rude enough to discover it without me and decide it was on par with Rio Bravo, if you can believe that. So obviously it was a high priority for family movie night when I was home in February. 

In my estimation, it can't yet compete with Rio Bravo, but I've only seen it once and we were watching it late at night and it's a long movie, and I get the feeling it takes a lot of taking in (multiple rewatches + lots of giddy sister conversations + a very attentive viewing mindset) to get to the level of appreciation my sisters have for it, so I’m withholding judgment. I do agree with their one big beef that John Wayne is a dubious casting choice for Davy Crockett. (I mean, Davy Crockett is Davy Crockett and John Wayne is John Wayne. Both American legends, but legends with very different vibes. Both in one person = does not compute.) 

You can kind of overlook John Wayne as Davy Crockett if you focus more intently on Jim Bowie and Colonel Travis, whose beef with one another fuels the more personal end of the plot. 

You may know how much I love men's beef with one another fueling the plot of a movie. 

Personally my favorite character is Colonel Travis. He's the type of character whose personality begins and ends with his uniform. By which I mean, not just the fact that he happens to pull off the military aesthetic, but that he cares very VERY much about what the uniform represents--honor and duty and courage and effacement of self and all that. It's a trope which I very much enjoy, especially when there's tension between that character's understanding of himself and the fact that he is, y'know, a human being with human attachments whether he wants to admit that or not. 

WE STAN COLONEL TRAVIS, is what I'm saying. 

Joseph King of Dreams (2000)*

I don't know how many times I've seen this movie at this point, but it's one of those reliable old favorites that never gets old, y'know? Between this and Prince of Egypt and Sinbad (and oh, yes, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron), I've got a ton of respect for Dreamworks. 

Anywho. 

I don't really have a lot to say about this one other than that it made me cry. Might the fact that I watched it sick with a fever have something to do with that? Well, yes, I grant you, it might. 

But, like. Brothers, man. Betrayal. Forgiveness. Good music. What's not to cry about? 

Davy Crockett and the River Pirates (1956)*

AGHK. I FORGOT HOW MUCH I LOVED THIS MOVIE. My siblings and I really loved it in the distant days of our youth, so revisiting it after all these years was super nostalgic. 

You know how I said John Wayne should under no circumstances play Davy Crockett? That's because only Fess Parker should play Davy Crockett. 

Anywho. It's not a very complex or deep or particularly cohesive, but it's just...a lot of fun. I love that it takes place on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in like 1820, so that it feels like a Western but is actually more of an Eastern. I love the river boats. I love the singing. I love Davy Crockett and what a golden boy he is. I love Mike Fink and what a blowhard he is. I love the friendship that develops between both of them. I love how the plot doesn't really care if it's clunky as long as it's having a good time. I love how innocent it is ("Georgie's not a drinkin' man!" is my new favorite line to quote). I love--I JUST LOVE IT ALL SO MUCH. 

(I also watched this one while getting over the flu. Apparently movies are most enjoyable when one is getting over the flu.) 

Rio Bravo (1959)**

So I've watched this one twice in the last three months, both times when I was visiting my family: once at 3 in the morning with the Wit upon getting home late from the airport, once while getting over ye olde flu. 

Staying up until 5 in the morning when I'd been up since about 6 was worth it.

Getting ye olde flu and having an excuse to watch Rio Bravo again was worth it.

(I think I need to reconsider my answer to the question, "What's your favorite movie." It's a Wonderful Life is and always will be a defining characteristic of my life as a fiction lover but I didn't even make time to watch it last Christmas...)

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018)*

THIS. 

MOVIE.

I am so impressed with it, guys. 

So, so, so impressed. 

...Evidently the more I love a movie the harder it is to say anything about it. We shall resort to bullet points.

  • New York City feels like New York City, right down to the smallest details (except for the ones that are supposed to be off, like "PDNY" instead of "NYPD").
  • Miles Morales is such a real kid. I dig him.
  • I dig Gwen.
  • I dig Peter Parker.
  • I dig Peter B. Parker even more, albeit in a different way. Come to think of it Peter B. Parker has a lot in common with Dude of Rio Bravo: a has-been with self-control issues, and even worse self-respect issues. 
  • I dig the extraneous Spider-People who are there largely for comic relief.
  • The evolving relationship between Miles and Peter B. Parker is everything I am here for in fiction.
  • The evolving relationship between Miles and Gwen is cute.
  • The interactions between all three of them really WORK. The way Peter is kind of third wheeling it, but also the way Peter & Gwen are a pair of equals when it comes to keeping Miles safe, and--yeah. There's a lot of good stuff here. 
  • ALL the relationships are really good, actually. Miles and his family = so great. Miles and his uncle = ouch. It's a very well-fleshed-out community of people where the side characters interact with each other as well as with the main character in believable ways, which is...a very important aspect of any Spider-Man rendition, methinks. (It's the relatively limited world-building of the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies that make me less than satisfied with it: we're too busy cramming Spider-Man into the MCU to give Peter's personal world space to branch out, and without that branching out of the ordinary world, it doesn't feel like authentic Spider-Man.)
  • And the THEMES. The movie is so incredibly thematically cohesive. 
  • The interaction that goes along these lines: "You've got to go home, man."/"But what if I mess it up again?"/"You won't." << Megan is crying again, and it's not from getting over the flu this time. 
  • It gets better with every rewatch.
  • I am so excited for the sequel coming out this summer. 

Les Miserables (2012)

ACK. THIS. MOVIE. *flails like an overcaffeinated octopus* 

This was a me-and-Paprika movie night. Two movie nights in a row, actually, because we are ancient grandmothers and can only stay up so late on a Sunday night now that we have responsibilities on Monday mornings. 

I've loved Les Mis (the musical) since high school, to the point where I read the book (which I'm considerably less keen on) just so I could justify listening to the Broadway soundtrack in front of my very-not-impressed siblings ("I have a right to this musical! I've READ THE BOOK!"), but. Be that as it may. I had never actually watched the 2012 movie. Which movie is probably more or less responsible for the fact that I knew about Les Mis, since my entire friend group fell to the fandom around the time it came out. 

Anyway. *ahem* 

Watching this on a Sunday night in the dead of winter when I really really REALLY didn't want to have to go to work in the morning was just...the most uplifting thing. 

It was exACTly what Paprika and I needed. There's something special about a movie that comes at just the right time like that, y'know? 

But perfect timing aside--I was keenly impressed. My one quibble is with the singing, which isn't always on par with the Broadway soundtrack (my go-to version is the 10th Anniversary one) in my 'umble opinion. (But also objectively, from what I've heard actually musical friends and acquaintances declaim.) 

But the CINEMATOGRAPHY. I think it makes up for whatever is lacking in the singing. And the music itself is still grand (lyrically & instrumentally) even if the performers aren't one's favorite. And the acting is quite good. 

And just...the STORY is good. 

It's SO good.

Victor Hugo really annoys me, because he goes off on these long philosophical tangents that would be annoying even if they weren't philosophically problematic (this is how I remember him sounding in the book: "there is no personal God to hear our prayers, there is just a great Ideal!"; "fixing the sewers of Paris would remedy half of all suffering there!"; "young men getting butchered in the cause for political freedom is worth it, because someday we will succeed in forming utopia on earth! I have trouble wrapping my head around why it is worth it, exactly, especially since I've told you fifty times I'm not a religious man, but somehow, I promise, it's worth it! everyone should be like Enjolras!" etc.), but Victor Hugo's story is actually very good. Like, the CHARACTERS are good, and because they behave in believable ways their actions end up building a believable story; and when you take out Hugo's sometimes-crazed commentary and let the characters speak for themselves, it's powerful, powerful stuff. 

So, yeah. 

We love Jean Valjean.

We love Fantine. 

We love Eponine. 

Marius and Cosette are rather idiots, but we can deal with them. Same with Enjolras & his revolutionary boys’ club. 

The Thernadiers are AWFUL, obviously, but they're so amusing, don't you know. 

And again, the MUSIC. THE EMOTION OF THE MELODIES. THE POETRY OF THE LYRICS. *clutches heart* It captures something of the drama of life, methinks. 

And then there are so many instances where, for instance, parallel scenes are done to perfection. I'm thinking specifically of how Jean Valjean holds Fantine while she dies in the beginning, and then at the end it's Fantine who's comforting Jean Valjean as he exits this world. Like...that's such good commentary on how when we die (as the medieval mystery play Everyman points out), all we can take with us is our good deeds and the grace of God. (Good deeds are themselves graces of God, of course. But you know what I mean.)

...Wow I have accidentally written a mini-post on Les Mis. Moving on!

--WAIT I FORGOT TO MENTION JAVERT--

*refuses to let herself talk about Javert* *or Gavroche* *or the Bishop* 

Return to Me (2000)*

-There's a movie you enjoyed MORE than Les Miserables, Megan?

-Why, yes, my dear, and it's a romcom. 

-You said you didn't like romcoms.

-Not generally, I'm afraid, but this is different.

The nostalgia is strong with this one, for one thing. I grew up on this movie--or at least, I grew up on this movie's soundtrack, which is heavy on Dean Martin and features some excellent pieces like "Buona Sera" and "Good Morning, Life" (and, obviously, "Return to Me"). So before I rewatch this I'm always like, "Oh, it'll be nice to revisit this one again, it reminds me of being little" and then when I ACTUALLY rewatch it I'm like "WAIT. THIS IS ACTUALLY A GOOD MOVIE."

It's about a guy in the construction business (his name is Bob, and he's played by David Duchovny, aka Fox Mulder from The X-Files, which I think is funny) whose lovely wife dies in a car accident. Bob is heartbroken, understandably, but eventually he meets this girl named Grace who is practically perfect in every way. She's in the I-help-out-at-my-grandpa's-Italian-Irish-restaurant business; she paints, she gardens, and, incidentally, she's so ridiculously self-conscious about her recent heart transplant that she fails to tell Bob about it. 

Romance ensues. 

The aesthetic is kind of wonky, as befits a romcom. It involves a gorilla, a cohort of old guys at the Italian-Irish restaurant, Grace's bicycle, Bob's big sad Labrador, a lot of Chinese takeout, arguments about who is the best (dead) singer, and a trip to Italy. 

There's something for everyone, in other words.

One of the things I dig about the movie is its robust strain of Catholic culture. Grace's grandpa is very devout; he prays to St. Michael when Grace is in surgery, talks about the rosary, and reprimands the movie's most rascally old man (his name is Angelo; we love Angelo) by saying, "You're going to get a lot of Purgatory time for that one." 

I'm also a big fan of the side couple, Megan and Joe, who are married with like five kids under ten. They're profoundly imperfect (most of the movie's swearing comes from Joe), but for all that they're a deeply functional couple, and I find them realistic and therefore moving. 

I also just really ship Grace and Bob. They're really cute. 

And--skip this paragraph if you don't want spoilers--I think the plot is very much in line with JPII's Theology of the Body, because…well, Grace’s heart. Is Bob’s first wife’s heart. And that’s a big deal because bodies aren’t just bodies; they’re an expression of our personhood and as such they have intrinsic dignity and…I dunno, I just think the heart is so effectively symbolic. That scene where you can hear Elizabeth’s heart beating again for the first time in Grace, and it’s at that moment that Bob opens his eyes after crying himself to sleep on the floor of his apartment? Chills. It’s just so good.

There are some sexual jokes and instances of bad language, but as far as romcoms go, it's not too bad. I would argue it's much cleaner than While You Were Sleeping, although that might be a subjective judgment. 


Well, my dears! That was quite enough from me! I want to hear from YOU. What good (or horrifyingly bad) things have you been reading/watching lately? Any recommendations? Have you read/watched any of these? Do you think stories ever have a right to be depressing? What MAKES a story depressing--the content or the execution of that content? Do you like medieval epics? Westerns? Romcoms? Sherlock Holmes retellings? Spill all the tea.



Comments

  1. I think I've said this before, but...I am not a Westerns person...BUT "The Luck of Roaring Camp" sounds like it would be great fun to read (and also very sweet), if only I wasn't so concerned by your hint of heartbreak and a tonal twist at the end.

    Let me tell you, Megan, as someone who has hiked 16 miles through the highest altitudes of the Smoky Mountains when it was snowing (but not that hard) and windy...trooping through winter weather is hard. (And we were even on a road, and not in a *blizzard* blizzard. I still thought my fingers were going to freeze off, despite the medicinal whisky I may or may not have imbibed beforehand. Not being able to feel one's hand very well does tend to make one a bit desperate.) Anyway. I can't say whether the plot of "The Outcasts of Poker Flat" is weak or not, BUT. Trooping through winter weather is hard. :)

    I've seen Enola Holmes, but not ever contemplated reading any of the books? (I know, I know, I know...but I think someone told me that they weren't as good as the movie? Idk.) But if it's MG-ish with an MC who actually feels like the time period that she's supposed to BE FROM...and if Sherlock Holmes is faithful to ACD and STILL has good relationships...this may be something that I need to investigate. Because I am a sucker for Crusty and Analytical characters who still find/are forced into/need relationships. (Maybe because I fit into that box a little too much some days.)

    Sabatini really does write so well! It can make it a bit hard to get into at first, but once you're into it--his prose! (Also, I don't know if you were around for when I said that both of the "big reveals" of the plot were guessed by me ahead of time? 😅 It was one of the first times I've ever had that happen (without trying really hard), and I felt like the cat that ate the canary. XD

    I should reread Song of Roland. I don't feel like I remember it as well as I should. Heck, I should buy myself a copy. (Acquisition of books being one of the joys of adulthood, y'know. XD) (I have way too many books for the stage of life I'm in. My dorm room is absurdly full of books. In fact, my clothes don't fit in my dresser because my dresser is full of books. I don't need more books, and yet...)

    I'd love to hear more about your emotional appreciation of The Silver Chair! It's the one I listened to on audio most as a child, so I feel like I got a little oversaturated... Thus perhaps not being able to appreciate it as much now. Hence why I'm curious about your thoughts. :)

    Ah, While You Were Sleeping!! I see your points about it, but also...I forget if I've said this already, but sometime in the last year or so (since I got to college, really), my go-to comfort movie genre has been rom-coms and just generally slightly bad (but good-bad, if that makes sense) movies from the 90s and 2000s. Like While You Were Sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, Twelve Dates of Christmas, Date Night... most recently, a couple that I watched when I wasn't feeling well were The Nanny Diaries (yeah, it was kind of trash) and The Pacifier (absolutely hilarious--would recommend if you need a laugh). So while I absolutely and 100% see the limitations of the genre...they make me happy. Which brings me to my actual point, which is: I'm now pretty sure I need to watch Return to Me. Like, very sure, actually.

    I have never actually seen Joseph King of Dreams? But given how much I love Prince of Egypt (which I just rewatched this month for the umpteenth time--does not get old!) I should see if I can find it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently my comment was too long to publish? I don't know if that's ever happened to me. A first. Anyways...

      Isn't Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse so good? I was extremely unconvinced, but my siblings talked me into watching it, and I enjoyed it SO MUCH. (It actually came up in one of my landscape architecture graphics classes recently, too. XD)

      MEGAN! You hadn't seen Les Mis??? HOW DID I NOT HEAR ABOUT YOU WATCHING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME? *flails* Isn't it SO GOOD? (Also: I would perhaps agree with you on the singing quality, EXCEPT for Eponine. Eponine in the movie is (in my opinion) 10x as good as Eponine in the 10th Anniversary version. She also happens to be my favorite character (in the movie--not so much the book) so this matters to me. XD)
      THE MUSIC. And you're SO RIGHT about the parallels! SO good. (Also, Gavroche? *clutches chest*) (And Javert! I sing "Stars" to myself when I'm walking alone at night WAY too often.) (Okay, I NEED to rewatch it with my family when I get home.)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes you just need a bit of heartbreak in your fiction, though, y'know? Especially in a Western? ;)

      Yes. I do believe it. I guess my suspension-of-disbelief issues weren't so much with the /trooping/ as with the characters' decisions to not even /try/ trooping until a certain point and in a certain limited way. Like, I fully believe people will die in cold weather, but...if you're certain you're going to die anyway, isn't it worth a shot?

      I do think I like the Enola Holmes movie better than the books (not that I've read very far, but Book 1 is not thematically cohesive and Movie 1 definitely is, even though it leaves a hint of things to come). It's one of those situations where I kept reading the book /because/ I liked the movie so much, and I knew the pace /had/ to pick up at a certain point because Tewkesbury hadn't come in yet. And I wasn't gonna give up on the books before I'd met Tewkesbury XD

      Ooh which twists?? I was definitely thrown for a loop a couple of times. But there was another one that I saw coming and I, too, was very proud.

      Do reread Roland. I also would highly approve of the purchase of Roland. I almost regret not buying the last used copy I came across, even though it WAS the same copy as I have at home. (Buying books = a chief joy of adulthood. Yes. I concur.)

      I might have to email you about The Silver Chair, then! Mainly I just feel like this winter was a spiritually dark time for me in a way I've never experienced before? Not "dark" as in "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL," necessarily, but more like just...being blind. In some ways. Or maybe just feeling like I'd muffed a lot of signs in my own life. XD

      I'm so happy you enjoy romcoms so much, Samantha! Honestly I've only seen a scanty handful, so I can't say anything about the genre as a whole. And I think I truly would enjoy them a lot more if I was watching them with the right crowd? Maybe? At any rate. I think you'll like Return to Me. You must let me know if you watch it and what you think!

      Ahhhh Joseph King of Dreams is really good. In the same vein as Prince of Egypt, obviously, but also distinct in mood and tone somehow. It's a little more...jazzy? Upbeat? Prince of Egypt is a high epic and King of Dreams is a personal one. Maybe. I prefer Prince of Egypt, my sisters (I think) prefer King of Dreams, but all of us are in agreement that both are Quality Films.

      Delete
    3. (Thank you ever so much for the long comment, btw. Made my day.)

      IT (Spiderverse) IS SO GOOD. I wasn't sold on it the first time I saw it, honestly, but it gets better EVERY SINGLE TIME I WATCH IT. I am keenly impressed.

      I didn't realize you felt so strongly about Les Mis, else I should have told you. XD (Or not. My brain is all over the place these days.) IT IS SO GOOD. SO, SO GOOD. And I do think Eponine is quite good in the movie. Not that I've listened to her songs since I watched it back in February? But. Yes. Good stuff. (And Eponine is...objectively the best, I think. Jean Valjean is arguably better but he doesn't TUG THE HEARTSTRINGS in the same way.) (But also Gavroche.) (AND JAVERT.) (I highly approve both of "Stars" at night by oneself and of rewatching Les Mis with family at home. Good things to do, both.)

      Delete
    4. This is true. Heartbreak is, sometimes, inevitable, but I prefer that it doesn't involve babies...

      Okay, so in Scaramouche, I guessed the twist about the people rehearsing the play (which was only a little twist, but it still counts) and then I also guessed who both his mom and his dad were, his mom when I wasn't quite halfway through the book, and his dad at the duel. (I'm trying to be vague...not quite sure if it's working. XD) Which one did you figure out?

      Oh yes, do email me about The Silver Chair! I've also felt like I've muffed signs in my own life--that was something I was really worried about last year. But this year, I've found that a lot of the signs I thought I'd muffed have actually turned into some of the most blessing-filled things in my life, so there is hope. :)

      Well, maybe we'll have to have a girl's night and watch a rom-com at some point in the indefinite and geographically challenging future! XD

      I bet my family would really enjoy King of Dreams, so I'm going to see about watching it this summer!

      (You are most welcome. :))

      Okay, I totally forgot about this when I was commenting on this post (or rather, I forgot that I would be doing it) BUT I got to see the live national tour of Les Mis last week (like, live, in the theatre, with national-level talent), and MEGAN I WAS SHOOKETH. It was even better than the movie; it was absolutely amazing. It just...gah. If you ever get the chance to see it on stage (if you haven't already). Just...the guy who played Valjean! And how amazingly everything was sung! And the staging! And at the part where Jean Valjean is getting to heaven, the bishop was there, and gave him a hug, and I SOBBED. Anyway. It was wonderful. That was a major tangent. (But, okay, tangent on a tangent: we took our (Dominican) pastor with us, because he LOVES Les Mis, and he wore his full habit WITH CAPPA, and going to the theatre with him was the COOLEST THING EVER.) Now I'm done with tangents. (Eponine really is the best. Like, noble giving away of the one she loves? Tragic death? HER SONGS? What more can you ask?) But also, while seeing it in the theatre, I was struck all anew with "Bring Him Home"--to the degree that I think it's now my favorite song in the entire musical. Just...GAH. Anyway. I think that's quite enough Les Mis fangirling for one comment. XD

      Delete
    5. *if you ever get the chance to see it on stage (if you haven't already) you totally should

      Delete
    6. Yeah heartbreak involving babies is rough.

      OH YES. I know I called all 3 of those at some point, but I forget at /which/ points.

      OK THIS REPLY IS LATE BUT I'M KIND OF GLAD IT /IS/ LATE, because I'm now able to squeal over your paragraph about sign-muffing and be like "YES I'VE EXPERIENCED THAT THIS YEAR TOO." So. *puts "emailing Sam" on the to-do list*

      *and a rom-com girls' night on the bucket list*

      I hope you enjoy King of Dreams!

      OH MY GOSH I MUST SEE LES MIS LIVE SOMEDAY. That would be legit amazing. I love live theater so so much. And I've come to realize that Les Mis is really...like, I was gonna say it's "top notch musical theater" but actually it RAISES THE BAR higher than the bar actually is set for Broadway, in my very limited experience. XD (But then. My experience is Very Limited Indeed.) (And going with a Dominican priest in full habit = life goals. But not even /goals/ cuz that's not really something you can Make Happen, you just have to be the right person, and you are that person. Y'know?) Also YES TO EPONINE. And YES to Bring Him Home. *tears*

      Delete
  2. I was reading this all like "bro, how do you watch so many movies??" and then I looked at my own list, which tells me I have already watched fourteen movies this year (I've more than doubled the half-a-dozen I watched last year, and I'm not even halfway through the year yet), which doesn't even count the handful I've watched en espanol to practice my Spanish, and actually when you have good movie-watching buddies (in my case, sisters that I am actually living with), naturally a lot of movies will get watched. Also, one of the fourteen is A League of Their Own, which we watched last night because I saw this post yesterday, and we have Thoughts. (Mainly 1) baseball is the best, although it does not always follow that baseball movies are the best 2) forties vibes are the best 3) Tom Hanks is the worst and we hate him with every fibre of our souls 4) we possibly hate him even more than the rude scout, even though the scout doesn't have a quasi-redemption arc 5) it was kind of annoying how most all the men in the movie were awful people, but 6) Bob was the SWEETEST. we love him. "that's my wife!" <3 7) it was really annoying that in the end the movie kind of justified Kit's immaturity 8) we liked that Bob didn't die, also that Jimmy and Dotty became semi-friends/respected each other/understood each other [even though we hated this at first because Jimmy is the WORST how dare you give him the time of day] 9) also DOTTY was FANTASTIC; loved her impartiality and her ability to lay aside something she loved because there was something more important to her; loved her interactions with Jimmy on this subject, maybe particularly because I in a different way but on a very personal level understand where she's coming from and find it a valuable attitude; loved, also, her refusal to treat people with kid gloves or tiptoe around their immaturity 10) also Doris reminded us exceedingly of our fourth-not-really-sister so we loved HER and the friendship was in general delightful.)

    BUT, also, amen to the perfect solidness of The Perfect Game. Literally such a good movie. Nothing is overdone OR underdeveloped, the threads come together amazingly well, all the important characters are somehow developed the right amount (difficult when you have an entire baseball team), and the scripting and acting are actually both really good?? Earnest and unpretentious and good. NOT TO MENTION THE VIBES. I miss this movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. part 2:
      But okay, BOOKS. I KNEW I knew Bret Harte! The description of "The Luck of Roaring Camp" awoke no recollections, yet the name rang a vague, hateful bell in memory. Sure enough, I listened to an audiobook of "The Outcasts of Poker Flat" when I was sick as a wee one, and my hatred for it, and for the American short story in general, knows no bounds. NO BOUNDS. (I think I assumed they were in mountains like the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas where they got snowed in with narrow treacherous passes where it's literally impossible to get out?)

      Jersey Boys sounds like exactly why I've always hated southern gothic (or western writers who try to be southern gothic). It's the difference between your hero having a fatal flaw related to his upbringing and being a little atom seeking in vain to escape the mad quantum cycle. You can say "you don't understand if you're not from Jersey" or "you don't understand if you're not from the Deep South" and make the audience realize that what this means is your character is refusing to break the cycle, but you can't actually mean that he can't break the cycle. It has to be that he doesn't choose to; that's an acceptable story to tell, I think, though I don't know if I like it much. But this is why I hate American literature; it's always like this. At least the Brits, when they write depressing stories, seem to have the self-awareness to blame the individual for succumbing to the cycle. I mean, is it even a real story if it's just a snapshot of people with no choice doing or undergoing nasty things that they have no choice about doing or undergoing?? Honest question.

      Delete
    2. part 3:
      I am being very grumpy in this comment so far, so let me move on to Roland. First of all, Roland is THE BEST. But second of all, you can't just say "I like Roland better than LOTR" and not explain??!?
      Roland and LOTR are actually kinda intertwined for me, though. Because I read Roland when I was so young, and it was my favorite thing I'd ever read in this very particular way, whenever I read LOTR at a slightly-less-young age it was an incredible experience because it was the only thing I'd ever read that lived up to Roland. I suppose it even surpasses Roland, in a way (though I don't need to choose between them), because I like epic poetry, but novels are my favorite literary form, and LOTR is epic poetry in novel form. Good epic poetry in good novel form. LOTR has the epicness of Roland, and it also has the wildness of Ents and the homey-ness of hobbits. That's the other reason I like it better than Roland, I guess. Roland has Roland and Oliver, but it doesn't have an equivalent of hobbits. LOTR is unique in having hobbits andElves and Men of Rohan and Gondor (not to mention Ents).
      But the long and short of it is, it doesn't really matter that Roland (the poem, as well as the character) is flawed, because it's sublime anyhow, and I'm really curious as to your reasons for preferring it to LOTR.

      Ah, Gawain. I love the dear good old idiot. (And if you ever want some good Gawain content--some good Orkney brothers content, in general--I do recommend Idylls of the Queen by Phyllis Ann Karr.) I'm glad I hadn't just read Roland, because I might have compared it too, but as it was I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the poetry, and I just love Gawain, and I love the way it all turned out, and I LOVE THE THREE TEMPTATIONS THING (and the obvious yet un-preachy morality of it in general?) and yes. 'Tis a good tale.

      Agree 100% that Lewis gets better as the series goes on at child characterization. Jill, Eustace, Polly, and Digory are really good, actually. I too have always related a lot to Jill--I think in a way that makes her not as much my favorite as, say, Eustace (who's also scrumptious in TSC)? but yes, she's wonderful. I've always really liked her, without thinking much about the fact that I like her, if that makes sense.

      Okay, the inclusion of Are You My Mother? on this list makes me happy for some reason?? I really, really liked that book as a kid. Fond memories. I think it holds up better than Go, Dog, Go!, my other favorite, as well. :P

      Have you seen Clear and Present Danger? It's also based on a Tom Clancy novel, though older (it has Harrison Ford). I watched that with my mom this year and reeeally liked it. I like intense military/espionage movies, sort of, but I often have that problem of sympathizing-with-but-not-liking the main character, and I quite liked Harrison Ford's character. ("No, no, no, not black and white, RIGHT and WRONG!")

      Also, I sort of feel like Return to Me is the only romcom I've ever enjoyed. Perhaps because of the soundtrack. Perhaps because of the old guys. (Perhaps a little because of Fox Mulder.) Anyway, I thank you for introducing me to it, and I really must show my sisters that one someday. I do remember it as far, far cleaner than pretty much any other romcoms that aren't from, like, the 30s.

      Delete
    3. The amount of movies on this list is SCANDALOUS. In my defense I went home for two weeks total, and my sisters are unparalleled movie-watching buddies. (Because yes. This is important. I almost think movies are as good as books when you have someone to really WATCH them with and THINK ABOUT and DISCUSS them with, y'know?)

      Re: A League of Their Own, I appreciate all of your thoughts and agree with most of them. My main point of departure is that I was greatly amused by the rude scout and therefore rather liked him. I don't remember Kit's behavior being exactly justified? She grew very very little and was SO CLUELESS up until the last possible second. I /felt/ for her and I under/stood/ her but it was impossible for me to ADMIRE her, if that makes sense. And DORIS. <3 Loved her so.

      And YES TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOUT THE PERFECT GAME. Greatly superior to A League of Their Own, if you ask me. (But maybe don't tell Paprika, lol.)

      Delete
    4. "A vague, hateful bell in my memory" is such an apt phrase. I'm so sorry Poker Flat traumatized you (reading it when sick as a wee one sounds like the absolute WORST). (I'm sure you're right about the mountain passes, but you know how they send that one character out to go look for help and he MAKES it? I guess I'm just confused why they didn't all try to make it. I mean, if you're 100% sure you're all gonna die if you stay here, wouldn't it be better to all make a dash for it?)

      Love your thoughts on the importance of free will in literature. "is it even a real story if it's just a snapshot of people with no choice [...]?" << I think not, because choice is such a VITAL PART of the human condition and the whole point of literature is to explore the human condition. Like. The ability to choose is one of the things that SETS MAN APART FROM THE BEASTS. So if your story features characters incapable of choosing, your characters aren't really human ergo your story isn't really about the human condition ergo I don't see why it would be worth reading. *shrugs*

      Delete
    5. Mercy, fair and eloquent friend! I didn't say I like Roland better than LotR /period/. I said I liked it better in some ways. I must agree with you that LotR is greater literature because it's just MORE. It's more balanced and it has more of life in it. (Hobbits are very important.) (As are ents.) (And I so love what you say about LotR being GOOD epic poetry in GOOD novel form. It's so true. Tolkien is a genius.)

      But as for the ways in which I prefer Roland. Mainly I am a very lazy reader who is fond of short books, and my readerly stamina isn't what it ought to be. (This year in particular. I've been stuck on the last few chapters of The Return of the King for months and months now because every time I think about picking it up, I get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of words I will have to get through to make any progress. Which is lame, but it's my mood right now, and readerly moods, I have learned, are not to be trifled with.) Roland is just PUNCHIER than Lord of the Rings. I like the almost-rhymes in every line and the over-the-top chivalry on every page. I like how it ends with so much death but the death is so HOPEFUL. I like the religiosity of it (minus the baptisms-at-sword-point, of course). All of that is more or less present in LotR, but it's not laid on as thick, and I really really like just being able to revel in all the poetic drama for a solid hour or two. (I'm reminding myself of Chesterton's "sentimentality is exactly as healthful as jam," lol. My literary tastes have a sweet tooth, evidently.) I guess, as the kids say, Song of Roland is a mood.

      (It's also just so FRESH. I feel like I'm slipping back in time to the Middle Ages every time I read it, remembering why I like that period of history, remembering that the stereotypes about it being all gloomy and not at all cheerful are actually hogwash, etc. Have you read Chesterton's book on St. Francis? One of his opening chapters in that argues that after the pagan world had gone to rot with its pagan decadence, the Church first ushered in a long purgative age of penance and then, somewhere in the Middle Ages, the poets of the world woke up to find that nature had been washed clean of all its weirdly dirty mythologies and they could sing about flowers innocently again. None of this is directly related to Roland but the feeling that Chesterton is describing about that time period reminds me of the feeling reading Roland gives me, if that makes sense.)

      Gawain is a very good bean. *puts Idylls of the Queen on her growing TBR* *because ORKNEY BROTHERS* (I forgot their name but I love them as an entity.)

      Delete
    6. Yes yes yes to Jill and Eustace and Polly and Digory being quite scrumptious characters. And liking Jill without realizing it makes perfect sense. I think I'm in a similar boat. She's a good, hardy, flawed character and I tend to forget about her when I'm not reading the books with her in it. But sometimes I remember that when we played Narnia in the backyard growing up, I often chose to be Jill. *shrugs*

      Ooh I've read Go Dog Go but not until very late in my youth, so I fear I cannot share in your nostalgia for it. BUT did you ever read Robert the Rose Horse? I discovered that one when I was way too old to be reading P. D. Eastman for fun, but I read it repeatedly anyway :)

      Ooooh Clear and Present Danger sounds promising. *puts it on the TBR*

      The soundtrack and the old guys and Fox Mulder are all worthy reasons to like Return to Me, methinks. I do hope your sisters enjoy it if and when you guys watch it together. :)

      Thanks for this lovely chat, Sarah! I would apologize for the delayed nature of my response but...I think you're used to me by now. :P

      Delete
    7. Ah, we were amused by the rude scout as well, for sure. That just...didn't stop us from despising him. XD
      Oh, it very much seemed to us that Kit's immaturity was climactically justified by the movie. Throughout the movie, whenever she and Dotty were going at it, Palestrina kept being like, "ugh, I hate when movies act like the one behaving like this is in the right" and we were like "but the movie isn't saying she's right! it's not saying Dotty's doing anything wrong!" and Palestrina was like "JUST YOU WAIT." and SURE ENOUGH, at the climax, after Kit has spent the whole movie needing to be better than Dotty or at least as good as Dotty and making poor immature selfish choices out of this juvenile need, and refusing to listen to Dotty because then Dotty would still be better than her, and persisting in her own foolish behavior, INSTEAD OF HAVING TO CHANGE THIS BEHAVIOR AND THAT BEING HER CHARACTER ARC, she just persists EVEN HARDER in this behavior and because she just persisted HARD ENOUGH, suddenly it worked for her. She hit the ball she shouldn't have been able to hit. She won. She beat Dotty. Because she just WANTED IT HARD ENOUGH. Implying that it was an okay thing to want???? An okay way to behave??? The proper reward of such behavior, if you are determined enough in it, being the exact kind of success you wanted???? Palestrina practically crowed that she told us so, and GOSH IT WAS FRUSTRATING. I'm frustrated all over again thinking about it. I'm sorry for ranting, lol.

      Ah, my bad! I totally thought you were saying you liked Song of Roland, as an entity, better than LOTR, as an entity. (Which would be fine, but, y'know, require an explanation.) Your explanation makes much good sense and was a delight to read and think about--gosh I do love Roland. I totally feel only "having time for" short rereads, whatever actual time you have. Plus, it just depends on one's mood? Like sometimes one isn't in the mood to spend weeks revisiting old haunts. Sometimes a quick afternoon, and then let's spend these new weeks covering new territory, is what the ol' brain is ripe for. I adore that notion of the cheerful awakening of the Middle Ages (soon I will read St Francis! soon!).

      Delete
    8. Ooh that is a very good point on Palestrina's part. I guess Kit DID get exactly what she wanted and emphatically did NOT deserve it. Which is uncool. But I think I was too busy thinking about it from Dotty's point of view to take it as serious commentary on Kit? Like Dotty is trying so hard to handle the situation well, and you feel so much for her because her sister is missing out on the whole point of their relationship being love and not just competition? And I feel like Kit got a little bit of a comeuppance (comeuppance is too strong a word, but a little bit of a painful awakening) when Dotty actually left and Kit was like "don't go!"

      And then the whole thing with the pitch Kit shouldn't have been able to hit was interesting. I felt like in that moment, Dotty was loving Kit in a really meaningful way by REFUSING to make things easy for her. Like "if she's gonna win, she's gonna ACTUALLY win and not be handed a win by her big sister." But then Dotty did whatever she did at home plate and I am confused. I forget whether the movie made it clear that Dotty /meant/ to let Kit be safe, but they at best left it vague. So yeah. Palestrina's got a point. (I really don't think this movie is anywhere near as thematically cohesive as The Perfect Game. The Perfect Game is just the pinnacle of baseball movies.)

      Yessss to all of that. (I do apologize for the rushed nature of this comment-answering session, lol.) YOU MUST TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF ST. FRANCIS WHEN YOU READ IT. Paprika & I are reading it together (we have 1 chapter left) & it is so fantastic.

      Delete
  3. *sneaks in*
    Okay, I absolutely agree with you about the whole Rio Bravo vs. Alamo thing. Because I've seen both of those movies and I can honestly say that Rio Bravo was sooo much better than the Alamo. If you have not seen the more modern Alamo movie, I would heartily recommend it because it is MUCH better than the John Wayne version. And I don't say that very often. But John Wayne is definitely not Davy Crockett, I will agree with that.
    (I wish I could add more to this conversation, but I haven't seen hardly any of these movies or books, lol. Still crawling out of the proverbial rock over here, lol).
    (also, sorry I disappeared for a while. My blog lists got a little screwy when I changed Google accounts and I'm slowly edging my way back into things around here, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *tackles you in a hug*

      Ooh I am quite curious about the newer Alamo movie now. Perhaps I'll watch it with my sisters, as they're such hearty fans of the old one.

      (Proverbial rocks can be good places to be sometimes.)

      (No worries! I've been practically absent from the commenting scene altogether and am just starting to try to be more intentional about getting back into it, so. I get you.)

      Delete

Post a Comment